The Student Room Group

how hard is physics at university?

Hi, I am thinking about applying to study theoretical physics at university but i feel put off applying because im scared I will find it too difficult and not be able to understand lectures or the work ect... . I've just done AS mocks and got a high grade A in physics and a low A in maths, and my teachers are predicting me A*AAA(with a* in physics), but although i really really love the subject im just scared im not naturally good enough. Has anyone been through a similar situation and found it okay or too difficult? Im looking at unis such as bristol, sheffield, bath, lancaster ect.. Would appreciate any information about what physics is like in terms of difficulty level, and if it is difficult, how do you approach this or deal with it?
thanks
Original post by applewatermelon1
Hi, I am thinking about applying to study theoretical physics at university but i feel put off applying because im scared I will find it too difficult and not be able to understand lectures or the work ect... . I've just done AS mocks and got a high grade A in physics and a low A in maths, and my teachers are predicting me A*AAA(with a* in physics), but although i really really love the subject im just scared im not naturally good enough. Has anyone been through a similar situation and found it okay or too difficult? Im looking at unis such as bristol, sheffield, bath, lancaster ect.. Would appreciate any information about what physics is like in terms of difficulty level, and if it is difficult, how do you approach this or deal with it?
thanks

Heya!! Don't be scared, and don't let imposter syndrome get to you! Uni is different to A-level work, and you might find you actually thrive with uni level work even more compared to A-levels. Plus, those results are great!

I didn't study in England prior to uni, but personally, physics in uni is very self-driven, and all about really applying basic physics concepts (as opposed to rote mathematical problems or reciting definitions, equations). My best tip: use Serway's book for physics (your uni will likely use it anyway in first year!), and instead of getting caught up doing notes or looking over lecture notes, your best bet to understanding material is practising problems (past exam papers, the tutorial questions your lecturers give you, Serway's problems). This is also a really long article, but I found it so helpful at various stages in my physics career; it really helped remind my why I study physics, how to best study it at uni level, and inspiration going forward.
Original post by applewatermelon1
thanks

Keep up your physics and maths A-levels and you'll be fine. As long as you have the motivation to study and to push yourself, you'll do well. I've just finished my first year and I found it incredibly difficult due to a combination of adjusting to learning from lectures, and not having a good baseline knowledge of maths and physics as during sixth form I really didn't study hard and I regret it. But your grades are really great so just keep it up!

Physics is a challenging course and has a lot of contact hours compared with other courses, however if you keep on top of your work from the start and don't let yourself get lazy then you'll do great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending