Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So basically yesterday me and my mate got caught shoplifting, we’ve been doing it for a while (don’t lecture me on this I already know what I did and I feel guilty).
    So here is the story, I stole 80£ worth of items and my mate got 85£ worth of items. The thing that is killing me is how much will the fine end up being? Because the guy kept saying that it will probably be around 3000£ or more even if it was worth 80£/85£
    We got a lifetime ban from that place and also not allowed in any nearby stores for 12 months. It’s my first time getting caught, and they told me that I didn’t get any criminal record. I already have 80£ saved up. I just need to know how much it will add up to
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Sianeyw)
    So basically yesterday me and my mate got caught shoplifting, we’ve been doing it for a while (don’t lecture me on this I already know what I did and I feel guilty).
    So here is the story, I stole 80£ worth of items and my mate got 85£ worth of items. The thing that is killing me is how much will the fine end up being? Because the guy kept saying that it will probably be around 3000£ or more even if it was worth 80£/85£
    We got a lifetime ban from that place and also not allowed in any nearby stores for 12 months. It’s my first time getting caught, and they told me that I didn’t get any criminal record. I already have 80£ saved up. I just need to know how much it will add up to
    Putting the frighteners on you.

They might try and demand some money, but this is normally the private security firm and you should take advice from NACRO or a solicitor. Be surprised if it was £300. I would be cautious about paying anything without at least taking advice. How old are you both?

ReputationRep:
    Both of us are 17 and honestly I don’t want to pay more than 100 too, but the thing apparently if we don’t pay they will end up taking this to court
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It is important to know this is a civil action, not a fine or anything else. They say you owe them money because they have incurred a loss on account of your stealing their goods. It would be similar to my suing you in court for not paying me a debt. It is not a criminal matter.

The amount they are saying you owe is how much they're saying they've lost because of you. It can include the goods if they've been damaged, their admin costs and so on. When they give you an invoice for £3000, they are saying you have lost them that much money. It is a rather large amount of money and it might not be what they actually incurred. Similar to my saying you owe me £5000 when you actually owe me £10; doesn't mean you owe me £5000 just because I say you do.

If you don't pay the invoice, they could take you to a county court and sue you for it. In some cases (I might say most cases), they do not actually issue court proceedings against you -- they often give up after you failed to pay.

If they decide to sue, they have to prove to a judge that they actually lost the amount of money they're asking you to pay. If they actually lost nothing, as they could not prove they lost anything, the judge would tell them they're entitled to nothing. There is no way for us to know or even for the people asking for the money to know if they are entitled in law to that amount of money, until a judge has looked at it. The £300 or £3000 is potentially something plucked from thin air. You might say the amount is so large because they believe you might pay it without asking any questions, as who wants to ask questions and contest this in court. In other words, they might be trying their luck to get a free £300/0.

£3000 or £300 is quite a lot of money. It is generally considered bad practice to have a "fixed cost" and that suggests that it is not the true amount they lost because of you.

If you do get an invoice, you could go to an advice centre or CAB to have a look at it and give you some advice. I would ask them to provide a breakdown of the damages they claim to have sustained; an advice worker will be able to give over these and see if they're likely to succeed at court.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to add also that I’ll be going to a whole different city (from Liverpool to London) will something happen if I decide not to pay?

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to add also that I’ll be going to a whole different city (from Liverpool to London) will something happen if I decide not to pay?
    BTW, read my above as I edited it.

If you do not pay, they will either stop contacting you or they will take you to a county court to get a judgment against you. If they win, you will have 14 days to pay; if you don't pay, they can seek enforcement action in the county court. Taking you to county court is a long process with a lot of back and forth; it won't be a matter of you finding out next month that the court has ordered you owe the company £300.

There is a case I looked up where a judge at the country court found all parts of the "invoice" unproven, so the shoplifter didn't have to pay a penny. You might be one of these people, which is why you should a) ask for a breakdown of what you owe and why and b) see Citizens Advice or someone like that to see what they think.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t want to pay more than 100
    First off, you seem great.

Second, don't pay them anything without getting a precise breakdown of what they claim you owe them. When you're asking for it, politely explain that it is because you have identified a legal advice centre that you would like to present the list to in order for you to make an informed choice about how to proceed.

If you do the above, there's a good chance you won't hear from them again - as they'll lose the scent of easy money.

ReputationRep:
    It's a civil matter so it's likely you can get away without anything happening.

Do they have any evidence, if it's literally their word and nothing else you can get away with. There's nothing they can do. Then can tell u to pay this much but then can't actually make u pay it. If it goes to court then need evidence.

Get some solicitor advice as well most definitely.

Shoplifting is trampy.

ReputationRep:
    Why is there a thread like this every week?

It's what you deserve. Hope it is £3000.

ReputationRep:
    Hope you lose a lot of money and dignity.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunate that you wont get a criminal record tbh

ReputationRep:
    What a scummy thing to do. Wish you got a criminal record.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottish15)
    What a scummy thing to do. Wish you got a criminal record.
    I guess your wish won’t come true. And you don’t know anything, just the fact that I shoplifted, not WHY I did it. Keep your negativity to yourself and I’m pretty sure you’ll find peace in life xx

ReputationRep:
    Try not nicking stuff in the future, it helps.

ReputationRep:
    You HAVE committed a criminal act - they are offering a way to avoid criminal prosecution.
    Regardless of the rights and wrongs of suggesting the alternative, they are within their rights to take you to criminal court where you will get a criminal record (which may or may not affect a university course/future employment) and a fine

Any "alternative" may depend on whether you signed any "confession" or agreement

I knew a guy on a law degree who was done for possession. End of employability - end of law degree

ReputationRep:
    Both of us are 17 and honestly I don’t want to pay more than 100 too, but the thing apparently if we don’t pay they will end up taking this to court
    sorry but your ****ed. my sister was 17 and shoplifted £30 worth of items and got a fine of £200. and yea you 100% have to pay, they will take you to court

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesgillian123)
    sorry but your ****ed. my sister was 17 and shoplifted £30 worth of items and got a fine of £200. and yea you 100% have to pay, they will take you to court
    Why did she pay 200£ when they items were worth only 30£?? And may I ask where she shoplifted? Was the police was involved or not?

ReputationRep:
    Why did she pay 200£ when they items were worth only 30£?? And may I ask where she shoplifted? Was the police was involved or not?
    bullring in birmingham. security guard caught her and got her address and then sent a letter later on. and it would make no sense to charge £30 for shoplifting a £30 item... because then everyone would do it lol. they charge you more so you wont do it again, her friend chipped in so she only paid £100, but since your friend stole aswell, id imagine it would be £250-300 each, what store was it?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.