Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Take pro-Europe to mean pro-EU sentiment. I don't mean to compare Britain to other countries in Europe. And I agree that most remain voters may well be satisfied with EEA/EFTA membership as a compromise.
What should always be remembered is that since 92 brexit was inevitable, we're a free trading nation, hence joining in the first place, but we've always valued our Independence meaning that when the EEC became the EU and the real March to a single federal European stare began euroscepticism would grow. This is perfectly demonstrated by the Referendum itself; a general rule of thumb is that Britain, and especially England, will vote based on economic self interest (hence why the Conservatives have been dominant since the collapse of the Liberals), despite this Leave won by over a million votes, despite project fear saying the economy would collapse (and I still believe that growth will be harmed through the first half of the 20s). Independence won over economic self interest
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pretending support of 51% gives any opposition viewpoint no ground to stand on is foolish.

Pushing the 49% of others into a hard Brexit is foolish and divisive.
Is this the kind of statistic that the newly established leader and party image is going to build itself along? It’s either a sign of incompetence, a sign that lessons in statistics is needed or that like true Lib Dem’s facts don’t matter
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joep95)
Is this the kind of statistic that the newly established leader and party image is going to build itself along? It’s either a sign of incompetence, a sign that lessons in statistics is needed or that like true Lib Dem’s facts don’t matter
I completely agree. I would ask the right honourable Deputy Leader if he believes elected governments do not have a right to carry out their full manifestos, and in fact should deviate from their expressed plans? After all, elected governments never even reach 50% support.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So trying to take the RL party affiliation advantage?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joep95)
One thing we are not building ourselves on is squabling about 1% difference in statistics

The correct value wasn't needed by either of us to make the points we were making (as CG conceded) and I think I've enough statistics lessons considering I got 97/100 in my stats unit of A Level Maths.

(Original post by Saunders16)
I completely agree. I would ask the right honourable Deputy Leader if he believes elected governments do not have a right to carry out their full manifestos, and in fact should deviate from their expressed plans? After all, elected governments never even reach 50% support.
This country has a reasonable history (spanning 20 years now) of politicians not following what they say they'll do. Do I like that? No. Do they have a right to follow through on promises? Evidently not.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tanqueray91)
So trying to take the RL party affiliation advantage?
In terms of recruitment, yes, that was definitely part of the argument. It also makes it more obvious to potential voters and members what we stand for
Saoirse:3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
In terms of recruitment, yes, that was definitely part of the argument. It also makes it more obvious to potential voters and members what we stand for
Nothing whatsoever?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
Nothing whatsoever?
Wooooooah 😭

We stand for all the good stuff actually
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wooooooah 😭

We stand for all the good stuff actually
It is nice to know the only thing this party now stands for is weed
Snufkin
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saunders16)
It is nice to know the only thing this party now stands for is weed
I don't want to legalise cannabis tho.
EagleKingdom
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well. An interesting name change to say the least. I don't think it will help you electorally but good luck. Nonetheless, congratulations to @04MR17 on his new appointment.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EagleKingdom)
Well. An interesting name change to say the least. I don't think it will help you electorally but good luck. Nonetheless, congratulations to @04MR17 on his new appointment.
Phanks bruv
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
bnzss will be replacing Snufkin as a proxy for Lumos_

Jammy Duel
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
bnzss will be replacing Snufkin as a proxy for Lumos_

Jammy Duel
Noted
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pugglet will be replacing Conceited as an MP.

Jammy Duel
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pugglet will be replacing Conceited as an MP.

Jammy Duel
Noted
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am delighted to announce that PetrosAC has the confidence of the party, following our standard vote as per the constitution.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am delighted to announce that PetrosAC has the confidence of the party, following our standard vote as per the constitution.
Congrats to Petros!
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mainline421 (formerly Exams421) is now back so I will no longer be proxying for him.

Jammy Duel
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mainline421 (formerly Exams421) is now back so I will no longer be proxying for him.

Jammy Duel
Noted
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise