The Student Room Group

Public speaking with a fear a fear of public speaking

I dont really know who to talk to about this, because i know speaking to my english teacher would just make it worse (for me personally, my brain works in a weird way)

I’m just going to give a brief background because it might help. I need some advice..

Im currently in year 10 and I will be doing my spoken language endorsement thing for english in just over a week, I’m have to do it in front of around 6 people and my english teacher. (it’s being filmed also but thats not my worry so its irrelevant)

I have never liked reading things out (not being picked on for asking questions, LITERALLY just reading things out) since the start of secondary school but about two years ago i realised that I got so worked up about it I almost forget how to breath and my vision goes because my eyes just TEAR UP. Even though it started back then, It’s got considerably worse since then to the point I can’t read much past a sentence without having having to suppress a panic attack.

background over.

Ive spent the last year (its been severer in the past year) trying to work out why it started getting worse and started when it did. Im very introverted but I can rule out insecurity of seeming stupid because im a relatively high achiever in all my subjects, but also i can rule out people picking on me because im primarily liked all round.

For my spoken language endorsement I can choose any topic, im able to sit down whilst im doing it and use cue (spelling?) cards or even just read off my speech

So yeah, if theres anyone reading this who can relate and has any advice of a way I can try and not have a panic attack in front of people that would really help, I don’t want to worry about it and i dont want to not be able to do it, I cant stop my reaction.
Sorry to hear about your struggle. To deal with panic attacks, consider the advice here.

And some simple advice would be to practice with a friend. With multiple friends preferably and also consider recording yourself. I've found that this has helped me with my musical performance anxiety.
Definitely have cue cards as they give your hands something to do and you can relax a bit more, as if your mind goes blank, you've got a prompter there.
I had a massive phobia of public speaking but gradual (forced) exposure to it has made me slightly better. If anything, I think my being aware of everything I do has made me a better speaker. It's made me worried that people aren't listening to me so I try and make eye contact and alter the pitch of my voice.
We've had group presentations where I've been the only one that's done any work so have looked great in comparison to them, and it's actually made me look forward to the individual presentations as I can decide my own grade without others influence (and forget about the fact I'm doing it on my own!).
My top tip is be prepared and know exactly what you want to say. Practice on your own, record it to get the pitch of voice you want, and then practice in front of a few friends to get the eye contact balance whilst remembering what you have to say. They can then also give you advice on how to improve.

Take your time speaking, pause for an adequate time in punctuation gaps and keep your sentences short. Try and know your speech inside out so you're not panicking that you don't know it, and have those cue cards. If you need to pause then do, but try and keep going. Good luck! :h:
appreciate that it is suggested that public speaking is the number 1 fear in society ppl rather die than give a speach. i finished final year uni and one class involved 3 presentations as a group and it turns out that yeah ppl really dont like it. i was in a group of 5 strapping lads and they were in a bit of state

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending