The Student Room Group

Looking for a laptop for gaming and university

Hi
I am about to start my first year at university, and will have a room in the city of my university. I will be going home every week end.

I already have a desktop gaming pc, that runs pretty much everything in max settings.

I am looking for a pc:
Gaming capable
Neutral looking, not gamery
Good battery life using in power saving mode, just using things like word

My budget is around 1400 euros

I have been looking for days, looking trough forums and all...
I saw people recommending the Dell XPS 15 but it is too expensive

I found two interesting laptops:

https://www.amazon.fr/Vivobook-N705UD-GC104T-Portable-GeForce-Fran%C3%A7ais/dp/B075XN8SX3/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530887994&sr=8-2&keywords=ASUS+VivoBook+Pro+17

and

https://www.dell.com/fr-fr/shop/ordinateurs-portables-dell/nouveau-dell-g3-17/spd/g-series-17-3779-laptop/cn37707

Do you guys recommend one of these with my criteria? Or are there better solutions with my budget?

Thank you for helping
Reply 1
I know someone that brings his GPU back and forth every week... I don't have that courage

desktop pc staying home, => only week ends

as for the 17.3 inch, it's thin, i don't mind it. It will fit in my bag perfecly, better have something bigger with more battery/performance than being small.

As for what sort of games, it's not meant for playing the lastest games in ultra 60 fps blah blah, i have my desktop pc for that(and i probably won't have that much time heh eh eh).
The pc's that i've linked have more than enough performance. (4gb vram is what i used to have like a year ago...)
Not meant for intensive gaming neither, i just want to be able to play a game from time to time, the pc will be my only entertainement in that room.

And i wouldn't want to build another gaming rig and then buy a cheap laptop next to it, they both have to last a few years, if i build a cheap gaming pc it won't survive long and neither will the cheap laptop
(Oh and i will really need the laptop for university work, my handwriting is terrible, i use a laptop for school, was a cheap one, ended up breaking it when trying to fix it. (then used my phone with a bluetooth keyboard ^^))

Thanks for helping btw
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest