The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Pro's and Con's to Stirling University?

Hey All! I'm going to be starting a postgraduate business course in September, ideally living in Spittal Hill or Pendreich Way as I really want to be on Campus but the halls are crazy expensive!

I was wondering if you could give me some good and bad facts about Stirling Uni, preferably in regards to the business courses or accommodation listed above but anything you guys have to say would be great! :smile:

I'm concerned that it's a very pretty, but far too remote uni in the middle of nowhere.
Reply 1
Hiya, glade to hear your joining Stirling to do a postgraduate degree in business. I have an offer for MSc economics for business and policy. Well I can’t think of any cons of Stirling university quite frankly but it differs from person to person. The business courses at Stirling focuses heavily on the applied perspective of the subject with a combination of site vists, guest speakers etc not to mention thier strong links with industry which is clearly reflected on their employability rankings. In addition, you also have the option to choose between undertaking a consultancy project in a firm or a public sector agency or to do the traditional dissertation. Stirling university is not really in the middle of nowhere. Stirling city center is easily accessible so as Glasgow and Edinburgh by train as it is in between both. This is a breif summary and I hope that was helpful. Good luck
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Original post by greatusername
Hey All! I'm going to be starting a postgraduate business course in September, ideally living in Spittal Hill or Pendreich Way as I really want to be on Campus but the halls are crazy expensive!

I was wondering if you could give me some good and bad facts about Stirling Uni, preferably in regards to the business courses or accommodation listed above but anything you guys have to say would be great! :smile:

I'm concerned that it's a very pretty, but far too remote uni in the middle of nowhere.

Whilst the grounds of Stirling University are very scenic with its greenery, and nearby mountain - Dumyat - overlooking the campus, the university isn't actually all that remote. It's half way between Bridge of Allan and Stirling, two nice towns. It's off a busy main road, and surrounded by great transport links. There are a number of busses from town into the university, and there's two nearby train stations (Bridge of Allan and Stirling), which have links to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Falkirk and the North. It really doesn't feel that remote at all. Stirling is a pretty busy town, and feels a bit like a city at times.

As for the course, I'm in the final months of my MSc Computing for Business postgraduate, and the business side of it was quite good. They operate in block taught modules - which was a bit of a pain for me, because my computing modules weren't block taught, so there were a lot of clashes and catching up, but this will not be a problem for those studying just business.

The university has been fantastic, I've been here for my undergraduate and postgraduate over the last 5 and a bit years, and it's been one of the best experiences.

But I'd definitely avoid thinking it's the middle of nowhere. The campus is very pretty, but it's actually right on a main road, and about 10 minutes from the centre of Stirling.
Hi, I agree with Sal and Revolver72, the University is beautiful as I have studied here for four years. I much prefer than the thought of studying in Glasgow or Edinburgh as I feel there would be too many distractions i.e. shops/bars. Although dont get me wrong that is all great and whilst Stirling has a lively nightlife and entertaining city centre - its just that when you want to get away from all this and focus in on uni work , Stirling is a great place to study in :smile:

Not far from Glasgow and Edinburgh at all! it takes 30-45 mins from Stirling station and very much accessible.

I cant comment much on Stirling management school as I too will be transitioning schools this coming September. I am also going into my PG for Economics for Business and Policy, nervous but looking forward to it ! especially that I am going back to Stirling uni :smile:
Reply 4
Hey Christine! Glade to hear that we’re both going to study the same course. What subject was your bachelors in if I may ask?

Quick Reply

Latest