Top Law Firms Watch

STw67
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Looking at some of London's top Law Firms, most of them say 2:1 and a certain A Level Requirement for their internships or graduate jobs. It dosent specify what university you go to.

So if i do achieve a 2:1, can i apply and stand a chance. Can someone explain to me the difference in internships and graduate programme ? Will i still get paid a salary for the graduate programme ? This is for DLA Piper by the way
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by STw67)
Looking at some of London's top Law Firms, most of them say 2:1 and a certain A Level Requirement for their internships or graduate jobs. It dosent specify what university you go to.

So if i do achieve a 2:1, can i apply and stand a chance. Can someone explain to me the difference in internships and graduate programme ? Will i still get paid a salary for the graduate programme ? This is for DLA Piper by the way
Yes you can apply.

Different firms have different recruiting policies though plus dont forget it is very competitive. Sounds like internships are more like taster work experience and graduate jobs are actual positions? If it doesnt explain on the website then just e-mail them.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by STw67)

If you meet the criteria you can apply, if you don’t you’d need some extenuating circumstances or a stellar application elsewhere to compensate for it.

Internship: 2-4 weeks, paid. Typically held in the holidays. Pay is typically about £300-400 a week.

Training contract: graduate programme, 2 years fixed term contract done after completing law school. £26-38k a year for DLA (depending on location).

You have to be paid for a training contract - it’s employment so has to meet minimum national wage criteria at best. You won’t get paid during law school but will typically receive a maintenance grant and have your school fees paid for you.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
STw67
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
If you meet the criteria you can apply, if you don’t you’d need some extenuating circumstances or a stellar application elsewhere to compensate for it.

Internship: 2-4 weeks, paid. Typically held in the holidays. Pay is typically about £300-400 a week.

Training contract: graduate programme, 2 years fixed term contract done after completing law school. £26-38k a year for DLA (depending on location).

You have to be paid for a training contract - it’s employment so has to meet minimum national wage criteria at best. You won’t get paid during law school but will typically receive a maintenance grant and have your school fees paid for you.
What is the Law Training programme, Is it essentially qualifying you to be a solicitor/lawyer ? What is a maintenance grant ? very confused, is it a graduate job, or are they qualifying you to be a solictor/barrister ?
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by STw67)
What is the Law Training programme, Is it essentially qualifying you to be a solicitor/lawyer ? What is a maintenance grant ? very confused, is it a graduate job, or are they qualifying you to be a solictor/barrister ?
Go to some law careers events before applying to DLA. You’ll need this basic knowledge just to get through any application process with a firm like DLA.

Training contract = two year graduate programme if you want to become a solicitor. Standard, regulated work experience across all law firms.

Maintenance grant: a payment law firms will give you so you have some money to live off of while studying the GDL and/or LPC. DLA’s is £7,000 by the looks of it.

Law firms don’t tend to take on many graduates on formal programmes outside of being a solicitor.
STw67
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Go to some law careers events before applying to DLA. You’ll need this basic knowledge just to get through any application process with a firm like DLA.

Training contract = two year graduate programme if you want to become a solicitor. Standard, regulated work experience across all law firms.

Maintenance grant: a payment law firms will give you so you have some money to live off of while studying the GDL and/or LPC. DLA’s is £7,000 by the looks of it.

Law firms don’t tend to take on many graduates on formal programmes outside of being a solicitor.
Won't you get a salary for the 2 year Programme ?
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by STw67)
Won't you get a salary for the 2 year Programme ?
I have already said you get a salary during the training contract. DLA’s is £26-38k per year depending on which office you work in.

You get a maintenance grant while you do the GDL and/or LPC and that will be completed before you start the training contract.
STw67
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
I have already said you get a salary during the training contract. DLA’s is £26-38k per year depending on which office you work in.

You get a maintenance grant while you do the GDL and/or LPC and that will be completed before you start the training contract.
So how long is the GDL/LPC and if you fail you will be rejected?
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by STw67)
So how long is the GDL/LPC and if you fail you will be rejected?
Each course is an academic year. Some firms run an accelerated LPC course which last 7 months instead of 9 and a half.

Yes, you have to pass the courses as part of the qualification process:

Non-law degree/non-qualifying Law degree + GDL + LPC + 2 year training contract = qualified solicitor

Qualifying law degree + LPC + 2 year training contract = qualified solicitor

But all this changes in 2020 anyway...

Read this: https://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/stage/...me-a-solicitor
STw67
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Each course is an academic year. Some firms run an accelerated LPC course which last 7 months instead of 9 and a half.

Yes, you have to pass the courses as part of the qualification process:

Non-law degree/non-qualifying Law degree + GDL + LPC + 2 year training contract = qualified solicitor

Qualifying law degree + LPC + 2 year training contract = qualified solicitor

But all this changes in 2020 anyway...

Read this: https://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/stage/...me-a-solicitor
Bingo that's when i will start university potentially! So is this the right plan to become a solictor, i plan to take a Law Degree hopefully get a 2:1, apply for a internship during the 2nd year.

Now for the Third Year i am confused, where/when do i take the new Solictor Qualifying Exam ?
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by STw67)
Bingo that's when i will start university potentially! So is this the right plan to become a solictor, i plan to take a Law Degree hopefully get a 2:1, apply for a internship during the 2nd year.

Now for the Third Year i am confused, where/when do i take the new Solictor Qualifying Exam ?
You could do a law degree or a non law degree - it’s up to you.

No one really knows about the SQE yet. Some unis may embed prep courses into their undergraduate degrees, many won’t though. So you’d end up doing the equivalent of a GDL/LPC course anyway - it’s just all it will do is prep you to take the SQE exams/assessments rather than give you a formal qualification.

Likelihood is most people won’t sit the SQE stage 1 until after they graduate though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (229)
59.95%
No (153)
40.05%

Watched Threads