The Student Room Group

Would one module at 2:2 ruin pupillage chances (commercial law)?

Firstly, many chambers don't ask for a full breakdown of every module grade in final year, but a few chancery sets do.

I went to Oxford and got a 2:1 overall in final year, (not law; I have a Distinction on the GDL, but haven't applied for pupillages yet). Although in one course I got a high first, in another course I got a 2:2. If I had to write down my (finals) breakdown, and it looked something like:
high first, good 2:1s, 2:2

..... would that mean my application was thrown in the bin?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

My set isn't one of those that asks for a full module breakdown (as you say, there aren't many of them), but I would be surprised if a single 2:2 grade meant that you wouldn't get an interview. Applicants for pupillage have a tendency to focus heavily on individual aspects of their application, whereas most sifting processes are more holistic than that. It may be that if you're looking at one of the elite sets the calibre of competition is so high that the one 2:2 grade does hamper you, but realistically for most sets that simply won't matter. Even in the event that it does affect you at one or two sets, for most it won't, so I wouldn't be concerned about it as regards your chances of securing pupillage as a whole.
Reply 2
Original post by Crazy Jamie
My set isn't one of those that asks for a full module breakdown (as you say, there aren't many of them), but I would be surprised if a single 2:2 grade meant that you wouldn't get an interview. Applicants for pupillage have a tendency to focus heavily on individual aspects of their application, whereas most sifting processes are more holistic than that. It may be that if you're looking at one of the elite sets the calibre of competition is so high that the one 2:2 grade does hamper you, but realistically for most sets that simply won't matter. Even in the event that it does affect you at one or two sets, for most it won't, so I wouldn't be concerned about it as regards your chances of securing pupillage as a whole.

Thank you Jamie. Do you practise in London? The odd thing is, some sets which are very 'elite' don't ask for a full break down (e.g. Erskine in London, a company law set), whereas a few good, but slightly less prestigious sets (which I was thinking of applying to) do. In any case, most of the Chambers I would apply to don't ask for that.
Original post by xyz94
Thank you Jamie. Do you practise in London? The odd thing is, some sets which are very 'elite' don't ask for a full break down (e.g. Erskine in London, a company law set), whereas a few good, but slightly less prestigious sets (which I was thinking of applying to) do. In any case, most of the Chambers I would apply to don't ask for that.
I don't practise in London, but even if I did I wouldn't know much about the recruiting practices of other sets save for my own, which is what makes giving advice on this sort of thing quite tricky. In any event though, if one or two sets are going to hold this against you in some way, so be it. You can't do anything about it, but you know that with the vast majority it will make no difference. Overall I don't think it's something you should be worrying about.
Original post by xyz94

I don't think your application would be put in the bin. But, given the sheer number of applicants with Firsts, it might be wise to improve/emphasise your extra-curriculars/mooting/pro-bono experience to make your application as competitive as possible. I'm pretty sure Erskine do ask for a full break down though.
Reply 5
Original post by jacktc890
I don't think your application would be put in the bin. But, given the sheer number of applicants with Firsts, it might be wise to improve/emphasise your extra-curriculars/mooting/pro-bono experience to make your application as competitive as possible. I'm pretty sure Erskine do ask for a full break down though.

On the most recent application form (put online in late 2017), they didn't; just asked for degree class, and then to note 2 or 3 module marks from final year. And then from any other degree you've done, if I remember correctly. :smile:
Reply 6
I don't think your application would be put in the bin. But, given the sheer number of applicants with Firsts, it might be wise to improve/emphasise your extra-curriculars/mooting/pro-bono experience to make your application as competitive as possible .

By the way, Jacktc, what stage are you at? Pupillage-seeker, future-pupil, baby barrister? I haven't even applied for a pupillage yet.....
Original post by xyz94
On the most recent application form (put online in late 2017), they didn't; just asked for degree class, and then to note 2 or 3 module marks from final year. And then from any other degree you've done, if I remember correctly. :smile:

Future pupil (2019/2020). No, they definitely do. See p.4 and 5 of the form: http://www.erskinechambers.com/pupillage/.
I distinctly remember because they asked me about my Mods marks during my first round interview there. All the best with the application :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
No, they definitely do. See p.4 and 5 of the form: http://www.erskinechambers.com/pupillage/.
I distinctly remember because they asked me about my Mods marks during my interview. All the best with the application :smile:

Thank you, I'm still thinking about whether I'll apply or not later this year on the BPTC. What did they ask you about your Mods? How can they ask questions about numbers you've written down on a page? Haha.
Original post by xyz94
Thank you, I'm still thinking about whether I'll apply or not later this year on the BPTC. What did they ask you about your Mods? How can they ask questions about numbers you've written down on a page? Haha.

No problem, happy to help. They just asked me about one Mods mark that was lower than the others, nothing scary!
Original post by xyz94

....Also, it's probably worthwhile applying this year, nothing ventured nothing gained. I take it Erskine one of your target sets? They do pretty decent mini-pupillages.
Reply 11
No problem, happy to help. They just asked me about one Mods mark that was lower than the others, nothing scary!

Thank you, I appreciate it. :smile: I don't think I'll apply to them, since they ask for every single module mark ever.
How did they react? Did they want to know why it was lower? I bet it was only lower as in, not a first, not a 2:2 like one of my module marks :tongue: (I should not have taken a course which I'd never studied before! Nothing I can do now though....)

One year, my first year, I have a mixture of reasonable 2:1s (in the "easier" courses, actually!) and a few high Firsts, so what would they make of that? They might think I'm an erratic, inconsistent person :redface: Then in second year I got Firsts across the board....I supposed I had quite a mixed performance really. Most people I know just got good 2:1s in first and second year, and then made sure they took 'safe' courses for a final year First! (Not I :no:) .
Reply 12
....Also, it's probably worthwhile applying this year, nothing ventured nothing gained. I take it Erskine one of your target sets? They do pretty decent mini-pupillages.

Thanks, I was considering Erskine, but I don't fancy my chances there, given the calibre of the applicants they must generally get!
Original post by xyz94
Thanks, I was considering Erskine, but I don't fancy my chances there, given the calibre of the applicants they must generally get!

Ha, it was! But I think they were simply making conversation. I'm no expert on this, but I think people tend to worry about module marks too much. If you like a set, and get through to interview, then it all comes down to your performance on the day. I don't believe sets obsess over individual marks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Ha, it was! But I think they were simply making conversation. I'm no expert on this, but I think people tend to worry about module marks too much. If you like a set, and get through to interview, then it all comes down to your performance on the day. I don't believe sets obsess over individual marks - even somewhere like Erskine.

Thank you for this, I hope that you're right.....I was expecting them to look at you sternly, and ask, 'is there any explanation for this grade?'

I just wondered why some sets ask for every single module mark, if it doesn't matter that much. I always thought that paper sift was quick, and surely having to read through every mark in every year, at university and also in subsequent degrees if you've done them, would take too much time.

Many places, even very elite ones, just ask for degree class. :smile:
Original post by xyz94
Thank you for this, I hope that you're right.....I was expecting them to look at you sternly, and ask, 'is there any explanation for this grade?'

I just wondered why some sets ask for every single module mark, if it doesn't matter that much. I always thought that paper sift was quick, and surely having to read through every mark in every year, at university and also in subsequent degrees if you've done them, would take too much time.

I have no idea why I'm afraid! :smile:
Reply 16
I have no idea why I'm afraid! :smile:

It's probably to see whether someone got a borderline 2:1, like 59.9999 :banned:
Original post by xyz94

I thought that virtually all non-gateway commercial and/or chancery sets asked for module marks. I'm a couple of years out of date but I don't recollect filling in any application forms that didn't ask for them. In any event, there doesn't seem to be any reason not to take your chances at whichever non-gateway sets you fancy, whether or not they ask for module marks, as you can apply to as many as you like. Filling in the forms isn't that onerous.
Reply 18
Original post by Forum User
I thought that virtually all non-gateway commercial and/or chancery sets asked for module marks. (...) Filling in the forms isn't that onerous.

Well there a few which don’t (Radcliffe, 4 New Square, Selborne, and 10 Old Square only want it if it’s a law degree), the slightly less prestigious ones (where I would more than happily apply).
It isn’t the effort/time involved in filling in the forms that concerns me, it’s just that I would rather spend more time on other sets if I have no (or very little) chance of interviews at Erskine/Wilberforce etc.

Also, I don’t want to email pupillage committees and ask them about this, because it would only draw their attention to it. It would, however, save my time (and theirs!) if they responded by saying either, “yes, we’re afraid you don’t meet our requirements” or “no, please apply”.
Reply 19
Future pupil (2019/2020).

Where do you have pupillage, if you don't mind my asking? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending