14jessoppa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hiya, I’m an aspiring medical student and I’ve just had my year 10 mocks. Overall, my results were pretty average, mostly 6s and 7s apart from French and Biology (8s) and Chemistry (5). I feel like my chemistry mark is going to be an issue, as i revised the most for it. So do I-
1. use different methods of revision
2. not take chem for a level and instead find unis that take just biology
or 3. find a different career sector.

Obviously I don’t really want to do number 3, but if I know I’ve got no hope of a course in medicine I’d like to know, so I can adjust my goals accordingly.

Thanks xx
14jessoppa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volibear)
Taking chemistry out of the equation greatly reduces your options.

You say you've revised a lot, but how are you revising? I took Chemistry and Biology at A-level and I learnt pretty quickly that Chemistry takes it's own way of learning - and it's the same at GCSE.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
I’ve written notes on every chapter from my textbook, as that was the way I revised for all my sciences. What methods would you recommend, as obviously I would prefer to keep on with Chem and get a good grade in it (:
14jessoppa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volibear)
For me writing notes was enough for biology, but it wasn't for chemistry. For chemistry I did practice question after practice question after practice question. I don't know what things are like these days, but when I did chemistry GCSE and A-level, the exam papers were filled with questions that involved mathmatical calculations and being able to apply your knowledge to new questions you may not have encountered before. Granted chemistry was always my favourite subject so (being the nerd I was) I spent a lot of time doing practice questions and past papers for fun. But I do strongly recommend it.

Assuming you have a good memory, writing chapter notes may help you for standard questions like 'describe what an electrophile is', but it won't help you with questions that involve calculations. It especially won't help you with the speed and accuracy you need to solve the easier questions so you cam focus on the hard big markers. The memory + writing notes method worked for biology because that was basically all regurgitation.
Yeah, I’ve found this method worked for biology really well, but I’ll definitely try the practise questions, as I don’t struggle with the facts, just actually getting them down on paper 😂

But thanks for your help, I really appreciate it (:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads