The Student Room Group

Blood when blowing my nose

I got a blocked nose at the minute but when I wipe my nose it is blood I am seeing on the tissues.
Reply 1
keeps on happening to me recently too.. probably just popped a vessel or something. Try to not touch your nose or do it gently
Reply 2
A bit of blood on the tissue is totally normal, especially in hot weather. The inside of your nose has really thin, sensitive skin is it's pretty easy for that to get damaged a tiny bit and make the tiny blood vessels in there vulnerable. With heat the blood flows a bit close to the surface and won't clot quite so easily so that can lead to more blood. With someting like a cold and blowing your nose often you're constantly irritating that thin, sensitive skin so there's a decent chance that it will give in at some point and give you that little bit of blood.

Try to blow your nose as little as possible and not poke around at your nose. If you do need to blow try not to do it super violently and try for more gentle blows instead. If you do get that feeling of a tiny bit of stuff that just won't budge it may well be from where the blood came from so blowing and blowing could just make you bleed more.

It's possible you will get a nosebleed. If you do that's nothing to worry about as long as it does not bleed for more than 30 mins. If that does happen (super super unlikely) call 111. Like with the blood on the tissue it's just that sensitive layer in your nose getting damaged and bleeding like a little scrape would on your arm. It's just that your nose is more sensitive and flows quicker.
If you do get a nosebleed you can pinch just under the hard bit of your nose and lean your head forwards letting the blood flow into a tissue or into a container/ drain. Don't lean your head back cos the blood will go down your throat and that isn't pleasant. Cooling your nose may also help. To do that you can just wet a tissue with cold water and hold it to your nose.

Hope that helps :smile:
I would like it to be researcher! I would like all European citizens who have the same kind of complaint they could gather it to one file and make research on it. I want to know if we are terrorised.
Reply 4
Original post by Jeruzalem
I would like it to be researcher! I would like all European citizens who have the same kind of complaint they could gather it to one file and make research on it. I want to know if we are terrorised.

We aren't, nose bleeds are fairly common and happen for a whole host of different reasons. Stop trying to make everything about terrorism.
Reply 5
Original post by Jeruzalem

Ah yes. Nose bleeds = terrorism :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest