The Student Room Group

BA (Hons) Primary Education (with QTS)

Hi,

I'm in the process of looking at universities (Year 12). My aim is to go into primary teaching, and obviously there's the BA in Primary Education with QTS.

I was speaking to some people who reckon that I'd be better off doing a degree in History & Politics (my back-up plan) and then a PGCE.

Which do you think is more beneficial?
Original post by mcd_connor
Hi,

I'm in the process of looking at universities (Year 12). My aim is to go into primary teaching, and obviously there's the BA in Primary Education with QTS.

I was speaking to some people who reckon that I'd be better off doing a degree in History & Politics (my back-up plan) and then a PGCE.

Which do you think is more beneficial?

Either route is fine - you'll end up in the same position, but the BA in Primary Ed will save you a year. The main other advantage for doing the BA is that primary undergraduate entry seems less competitive than postgrad entry, but on the other hand, it's also fairly restrictive if you decide - now or in the future - that you don't want to go into/stay with teaching. It certainly will have transferable skills, but it's very much designed to prepare you for teaching, whereas History & Politics might open more doors generally.

Both routes will provide you with more or less the same amount of experience (PGCEs are a minimum of 120 days in schools across the year, and BAs in Primary Ed typically spread the same amount over three years) and you'll meet the same standards, so the main factor is whether you want your degree to be a little more general and open or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending