How the hell do I determine my learning style? Watch

AspiringAccount
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I took a test and it said i'm a visual learner but I don't think that's right.
I've tried wikihow and articles and still got the same result. So I resort to the student room. Help me lads.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It doesn't matter. I don't know what kind of learner I am, I just do practice questions until I understand.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Ignore all forms of tests and "hacks" that tell you how you learn or help you learn better. They are attempts to standardise something when everyone learns in their own way.

The only way you'll find out how you learn is to do things. You need to try lots of different methods of learning and revision and see what you find enjoyable and what works. That way you can discount things that don't work and focus on things that do. Incidentally, don't leave this until your exams as you don't want to be spending all your time trying different methods when you need to be revising.

To some extent, we all learn in a variety of ways. We all take in information with the same basic senses. However what varies is how we process that information. One person may process information better if it's audible while others process better if they're doing something. Some might prefer colours for everthing, others might prefer colours for key points. The only way you can really find out is by trying lots of things and finding out what works for you. This isn't a short process though and don't expect to have an answer in a few days. I'm at university and I still find new methods of retaining information. Also keep in mind that methods may vary from subject to subject. I wouldn't expect you to learn Maths and English in the same way since they're drastically different subjects.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Google Howard Gardeners Multiple Intelligences, although very old I find it's pretty good for the introduction to the several ways people learn.

Fill in the quiz and you get the results on the screen
https://www.edutopia.org/multiple-in...ces-assessment
bfm.mcdermott
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
There are a lot of tests out there but I’ve never paid much attention to them. I think most people are a mix anyway and it depends on the subject. Just try out different forms of revision and see what works best for you
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The visual learner etc stuff has little to no basis in fact. just try different techniques and see what works for you.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Visual learners - learn best from seeing things, so watch You Tube, use colour and symbols in your mind maps and flash cards.

Audio learners - remember what is said, so again watch You tube, but also record your notes and listen to them.

Kinesthetic learners - learn in movement, so do dance moves, walk while learning.

Music Intelligence - they find it really easy to learn through music lyrics, so write poems of the information, or sing the words

Linguistic Intelligence - they have an ear for languages, but in my case I hear the words like musical tones and pitches, thus find it easier to have the accent.

Different subjects need different styles of learning. Just try out different styles and see what works for you. Here's some to think of

Mind maps
Acronyms
Journey method
Roman room method
Loci method
Poems
Lyrics
Dance movements
Cheat sheets - use bullet points as well
Index/flash cards in booklet form or individual
Parrot fashion - not only saying but writing.
Teaching the subject to others/family pet

The brain works the best to bite size information in small 5-7 bits, with a 20 minute study period repeated with a 5 minute rest in between doing an activity like juggling.

Be aware some subjects like maths not only needs the theory learnt, but also practice to build muscle memory.
sallyS22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Just try out as many things as possible. Although it may be helpful to know what type of learner you are, there's still so much variation between learning techniques even within these categories. Therefore, just try out various techniques and see which help you understand and remmeber the most.

It's also important not to judge it based on how productive you're feeling during the revision session. Instead it should be based on how you do in your tests, or how much of it you can remember one week later. This proves whether the information actually goes in or not!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (207)
32.55%
The paper was reasonable (312)
49.06%
Not feeling great about that exam... (72)
11.32%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.08%

Watched Threads