How long it takes to pass driving test

Watch
Ethan100
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Statistically, whats the average amount of driving tests taken before someone passes?
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
52% pass rate for each exam.
TheJammyFox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People here will go on like superhumans saying they passed on their first/ second lessons but generally it would take about 30-40 lessons on average.

To be honest, it depends on your ability, your driving instructors ability, your motivation to learn and the luck/scenarios you are faced with during the driving test.

Believe me, I've failed with some annoying mistakes on some driving tests. It's not nice.
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ethan100)
Statistically, whats the average amount of driving tests taken before someone passes?
About 50% pass the test. My friends passed in 3-4 months, some passed after a year. It depends on how many lessons you have. On average 30-40 lessons.
J-broderick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It takes about 45 hours worth of lesson to cover everything you need to know before you’re ready to take a practical test then an additional 20 hours practice to pass.
Joshkav
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J-broderick)
It takes about 45 hours worth of lesson to cover everything you need to know before you’re ready to take a practical test then an additional 20 hours practice to pass.
Post is 2 years old, I'm sure they know the answer now. Also, the 45 hours in the average, some people pass sooner, some later. e.g. I passed after 15 hours of lessons, with no previous experience
J-broderick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joshkav)
Post is 2 years old, I'm sure they know the answer now. Also, the 45 hours in the average, some people pass sooner, some later. e.g. I passed after 15 hours of lessons, with no previous experience
My answer is for anyone else inquiring. I have been an Approved Driving Instructor for 20 years and have an excellent 1st time pass rate. Most people need a minimum of 40 hours with a few more hours practice to pass on their 1st attempt. 1/100 people pass after 15 hour.
the practical test changed on 4 December 2017 to make it a better assessment of the ability to drive. Which means being able to pass the test after “10 lessons” like your parents is a thing of the past.
Last edited by J-broderick; 1 month ago
Joshkav
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J-broderick)
My answer is for anyone else inquiring. I have been an Approved Driving Instructor for 20 years and have an excellent 1st time pass rate. Most people need a minimum of 40 hours with a few more hours practice to pass on their 1st attempt. 1/100 people pass after 15 hour.
the practical test changed on 4 December 2017 to make it a better assessment of the ability to drive. Which means being able to pass the test after “10 lessons” like your parents is a thing of the past.
Fair enough, I passed 13th November 2017, just before the new test came in. But I had to do reverse around a corner and all that, which you don't get tested on anymore.

I don't think the new test is any harder from my perspective, it just deals with more general day to day stuff now
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Being anal about it: it takes about 40 mins to pass a test

Being helpful: Everybody does it at their own pace. Some need 10 hours; some need 20 and others 40 or maybe a tad more.

Learning to drive is a lot like well.... driving. It's not the time taken, it's the journey that counts.

Your focus now is becoming a confident and capable driver, don't pigeonhole yourself to smash it out in a bare minimum of hours because you will disappoint yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
27.43%
Less motivated (82)
72.57%

Watched Threads