The Student Room Group

medicine 2019 entry do i have a chance?

deleted
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Aw thank you i hope so and what are you planning to do?
ps how did you survive chemistry send help pls ahaha
Reply 2
ah you're from canada that's so cool and okay thanks i'll try!
Reply 3
ah nice well good luck for the future!
Reply 4
Original post by Volibear
You can be good at GCSEs and still do badly in the UKCAT/BMAT, which will result in rejections.
Bristol is a PS heavy medical school so if they write that badly that could be one option out, same goes for other medical schools.
Experience is quality not quantity. If they can't reflect on her experiences appropriately when writing her PS or during interviews and is just listing out what they've done, they may get four rejections.
And there's always the unfortunate situation that medicine is very oversubscribed and whilst OP may have a good application, it just may not be good enough in comparison to others. The majority of medicine applicants get four rejections in their first application cycle.

ok thanks for that mate, i think they were just being nice, no need to get defensive
Reply 5
You can be good at GCSEs and still do badly in the UKCAT/BMAT, which will result in rejections.
Bristol is a PS heavy medical school so if they write that badly that could be one option out, same goes for other medical schools.
Experience is quality not quantity. If they can't reflect on her experiences appropriately when writing her PS or during interviews and is just listing out what they've done, they may get four rejections.
And there's always the unfortunate situation that medicine is very oversubscribed and whilst OP may have a good application, it just may not be good enough in comparison to others. The majority of medicine applicants get four rejections in their first application cycle.

thank you for being so encouraging, some people obviously can only criticise !
Reply 6
I'm not being defensive, I just don't want you to be under the assumption that you'll definitely get in if you do well in your A-levels. There's a lot more to the application than that. But you have a good variety of experiences and aren't applying to any GCSE heavy medical schools (as far as I'm aware of), you're predicted 3 As in good subjects so yes, based on these parts of your application, you have a chance.

I don't see what criticism there is in saying that definitely is not the right road to use but it's your application.

yeah i'm aware i obviously am in no way certainly getting in, thanks for commenting

😂 bristol are using ukcat cut off for 2019 entry hahah. Check out their updated admissions policy. No more PS heavy.
Reply 8
So sorry for any offence caused lol

none taken lol
Reply 9
Hey so I'm currently in year 12 and I was just wondering if you think I have a chance of getting into medicine?

I'm thinking of applying to Bristol, Liverpool, Sheffield and Manchester

I have 2 9s, 1 7, 1 A*, 6 As at GCSE and am predicted 3 As in Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.

EXTRAs:
Head girl
Badminton and rounders teams for 5 years
10 months of volunteering at a school for kids with autism
4 days shadowing a consultant in various departments in obstetrics & gynaecology
1 day shadowing a medical team in cardiology
1 week in BCH (children's hospital)
1 week in a GP surgery
1 week in palliative care
Awarded Volunteer of the Year in my county
Got into the Aspiring Doctor's Programme
Attended the Young Doctor's Programme
That's a pretty good profile! I would say you would but if any med students who put their input please do 😂
if youre applying to bristol your personal statement needs to be amazing, and include everything theyre looking for- you have lots of extra curricular stuff so that should be good. the others sound fine but whether you get interviews mostly depends on your ukcat tbh.
Reply 12
Original post by txo298
Hey so I'm currently in year 12 and I was just wondering if you think I have a chance of getting into medicine?

I have 2 9s, 1 7, 1 A*, 6 As at GCSE and am predicted 3 As in Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.

EXTRAs:
Head girl
4 days shadowing a consultant in various departments in obstetrics
(edited 5 years ago)
when you say awarded in your country are you saying like the whole of britian
Reply 14
[QUOTE="e^iπ;78764546"]
Original post by txo298

EXTRAs:
Head girl
4 days shadowing a consultant in various departments in obstetrics

Original post by GalGirl101
That's a pretty good profile! I would say you would but if any med students who put their input please do 😂

thank you! yes haha any advice is appreciated!
Reply 15
Original post by MaliLee13
when you say awarded in your country are you saying like the whole of britian

i said county lol
Reply 16
Original post by hello2906
if youre applying to bristol your personal statement needs to be amazing, and include everything theyre looking for- you have lots of extra curricular stuff so that should be good. the others sound fine but whether you get interviews mostly depends on your ukcat tbh.

thank you! do you have any advice for ukcat preparation?
Reply 17
If you do well in the admissions exams, reflect well on your experiences when writing your PS and during interviews, do well in your interviews, and meet your offer, sure.

okay thanks!
Original post by txo298
thank you! do you have any advice for ukcat preparation?

basically do every practice question you can find. off the top of my head, i think the online ones are: medify, official questions, passukcat, ukcathelp, medicportal, ukcatninja, kaplan free online tests. passukcat and ukcathelp were a bit rubbish, medify was the best. ofc you don't need to do all of the questions, just enough until you feel confident and are scoring how you want to in the mocks. good luck!
So who's applying? I want to apply for the gateway with ABB predicted. My GCSE grades are okay, apparently PS good but my UKCAT score isn't high. Do I still have a chance of getting in?

Quick Reply

Latest