Turn on thread page Beta

Car leasing and insurance watch

ReputationRep:
    Getting a car insurance for a car I am leasing (PCH) so i will hand car back to nissan after 2 years.

Now nissan keep mentioning this thing called GAP insurance if my car is written off. When i have rang few insurance companies up like liverpool victoria they say if the car is written off i will either get new car or value of car.

What i want to know is GAP insurance worth getting to cover additional costs and would nissan accept it if insurance company give me like for like car
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sultangopi)
    Getting a car insurance for a car I am leasing (PCH) so i will hand car back to nissan after 2 years.

Now nissan keep mentioning this thing called GAP insurance if my car is written off. When i have rang few insurance companies up like liverpool victoria they say if the car is written off i will either get new car or value of car.

What i want to know is GAP insurance worth getting to cover additional costs and would nissan accept it if insurance company give me like for like car
    GAP insurance covers the gap between what you paid for the car and its market value, so you're not in negative equity come return time. If you can't afford to stump up a few thousand pounds should you write the car off, get GAP insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for response but what i dont get is if my car is written off and then insurance replace the car will nissan be happy. Or will they want money back.

ReputationRep:
    As i am leasing and NOT buying
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for response but what i dont get is if my car is written off and then insurance replace the car will nissan be happy. Or will they want money back.
    They'll give you market value, which could (and does in most cases) only buy you a lesser spec than you leased from Nissan.

ReputationRep:
    But what if they give me a car as opposed to money
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    But what if they give me a car as opposed to money
    I doubt it would be the same spec.

ReputationRep:
    So would i be able to request money from insurance company instead
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So would i be able to request money from insurance company instead
    Yes.. but it would probably not be enough to buy a car of the same spec and condition as the one you wrote off, hence GAP insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok thanks for your help really appreciate it. Been trying to get a quote from aviva insurance but they are getting confused by pcp and pch. They keepsaying wat you going to buy but i am renting

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a car (Car A) which is insured until september 2018. I have now took a new car (CAR B) on lease and insured it with a new insurance company to car A. The lease on Car B (new car) will start later on this coming week.

My question is can I still continue to use my Car A for driving, whilst Car B is on my driveway. I intend to stop using Car A after september when insurance runs out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I currently have a car (Car A) which is insured until september 2018. I have now took a new car (CAR B) on lease and insured it with a new insurance company to car A. The lease on Car B (new car) will start later on this coming week.

My question is can I still continue to use my Car A for driving, whilst Car B is on my driveway. I intend to stop using Car A after september when insurance runs out.
    So you've got an active policy on Car A with Company A, and a policy for Car B with Company B?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This is something you should discuss with your dealer tbh, different dealers have different rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    So you've got an active policy on Car A with Company A, and a policy for Car B with Company B?
    No company invovled, I have took out insurance on 2 different cars with 2 different insurance providers. Bascially I have ended up getting a new car whilst the other insurance on Car A is still valid.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No company invovled, I have took out insurance on 2 different cars with 2 different insurance providers. Bascially I have ended up getting a new car whilst the other insurance on Car A is still valid.
    No company involved...? What do you think an insurer is..

I don't see what your problem is here - you've got insurance for both cars, so you can drive both cars...?

ReputationRep:
    No company involved...? What do you think an insurer is..

I don't see what your problem is here - you've got insurance for both cars, so you can drive both cars...?
    Sorry I have misread your question initially. Yes to your question of

my question is can I drive both cars
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sorry I have misread your question initially. Yes to your question of

my question is can I drive both cars
    Why wouldn't you be able to..?

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't you be able to..?
    someone mentioned no claims to me but didn't expand on what she meant hence the question??

As I say once insurance on car A runs out, I will no longer be using it anyway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    someone mentioned no claims to me but didn't expand on what she meant hence the question??

As I say once insurance on car A runs out, I will no longer be using it anyway.
    You can't use your no claims discount on two policies, if that's what you mean?

ReputationRep:
    You can't use your no claims discount on two policies, if that's what you mean?
    Can you expand on this, I am confused

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.