The Student Room Group

Sixth- form bursary application advice.

Hello all,

I'm due to be starting sixth form in September 2019, and I am desperate to attend my local private school. At the moment, I am in a state school, which in all honesty isn't very good and I have quite a few issues with it. I am a very dedicated student, although not straight 9s (targets are 7s and 8s, hoping to exceed them).

The main problem is that I'm not very "well rounded" - I have done drama and volunteering work, my extracurricular activities are : debates, student council, subject ambassador and librarian. I am appalling at sports and not musical at all.

Without trying to sound boastful, I tend to fare quite well in interviews because I am *very* passionate about things such as politics and my career ambitions.

However, I'm not quite sure the best way to explain that I cannot attend without an 100% bursary, there's no way my parents could afford it and wouldn't pay it even if they wanted to!

Any advice from bursary students? Would I be a suitable applicant/ stand any chance of getting in??

Thanks so much x
Yes you do stand a very good chance.
Hi, I might be of some use. I've got into my local private school on 100% bursary for this September and from my experience you would stand a very good chance. Private schools love a strong interview and the more charisma you show the better. I myself have no sporting or musical abilities either but that didn't lower my chance. Try going in for an academic scholarship as well as the bursary as they are more likely to give to a student who shows that they can perform well rather than just a normal application. Also, contact the admissions registrar as soon as possible stating your position and why you want to go to that school (flattery is key) and try and go to a taster day or an open day to show your dedication (they're free).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending