post-grade 8 repertoire for a student hoping to study music at university ?

Watch
cesecky
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
hi

i have my grade 8 piano exam next week and am planning on studying music at university. the clarinet is my first instrument however i am more passionate about the piano (i play the organ also) so would like to study in that instrument. i don’t have much repertoire prepared however... so was just wondering what ‘staples’ are considered a must of a pianists repertoire starting university. i’ve mostly played 20th century pieces to be honest - i would like to venture into the realm of other styles but i’m a bit stuck where to start ! i would also like to play some debussy - any recommendations ?

thanks
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good luck with your piano exam next week :musicus: Debussy's Preludes might be a good starting place. I'm not sure about the DipABRSM/ATCL syllabi these days but when I sat for my first diploma and A2 performance exams, I learnt Debussy's 'La cathedrale engloutie' and 'Voiles', as well as 'Minstrels'. His Arabesques might be a good start before you try one of the harder Preludes.

I think you should definitely have a go at a Bach Prelude and Fugue - at least one, if not more! It'll be good preparation for keyboard harmony/harmony and counterpoint in music degree courses :yes:
Dysf(x)al
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cesecky)
hi

i have my grade 8 piano exam next week and am planning on studying music at university. the clarinet is my first instrument however i am more passionate about the piano (i play the organ also) so would like to study in that instrument. i don’t have much repertoire prepared however... so was just wondering what ‘staples’ are considered a must of a pianists repertoire starting university. i’ve mostly played 20th century pieces to be honest - i would like to venture into the realm of other styles but i’m a bit stuck where to start ! i would also like to play some debussy - any recommendations ?

thanks
I'm not planning on studying music, but I've found that learning a concerto for a local competition (it was Saint-Saens' No2 in G Minor if you're wondering) definitely improved my playing. Otherwise I guess just try a bit of everything.
username3535256
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would definitely play lots of Bach, as playing contrapuntal music is a really important / useful skill (but sounds like you already do, being an organist...?). Debussy Pour Le Piano is really good. Id you like Debussy, I think you’ll enjoy that.

The Bach 48 is good, so are the French suites, the partitas, the Goldberg Variations, and if you like fugues, the Art of Fugue is brilliant. I don’t know the English suites very well, but I’m sure they’re good too. And there’s so much more (eg inventions and sinfonia, but they’re really not audition pieces).

Learn a Beethoven sonata you like the look of.

Rachmaninov is pretty fantastic (have a look at his preludes and etudes, although some are really very hard) as you can see, I’m a fan of Rachmaninov.

Play widely, and see what you like. That’s the main thing, I think.
bluemuffin
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I just finished my grade 8 piano exam and I love having such a great selection of pieces to choose from. I wouldn’t recommend just one piece, but it would be good to learn some Bach, especially some fugues if they’re new to you. Currently I’m learning the entire moonlight sonata by Beethoven including the 3rd mvmt which is insanely hard but rewarding to play, would recommend only if you have relatively good technique otherwise your hand starts hurting after a few lines as it’s such a fast piece too. I like Debussy as well, although I haven’t played many pieces maybe try learning “la cathedrale engloutie”; it’s such a lovely piece. Sorry I feel like my comment isn’t as good as the others’ I’m not that experienced but good luck in your exam I’m sure you’ll do really well!
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good luck with your piano exam. If you learnt a sonata movement for your exam, perhaps you could learn the other movements?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise