The Student Room Group

use of the term 'queer'

hello!
this post is just a quick question i would like to start a discussion about and get more opinions on, and as it was London pride today, i think its fitting. I identify as a lesbian, so i'm comfortable using the term queer, as are my friends who are gay, pan, bi and so on. My friend recently began to use they/them pronouns and doesn't feel feminine unless they are in drag (born biologically female), so they feel comfortable using these pronouns. They asked me if they are okay to identify as queer and say that they are queer, despite the fact that they are straight (their words). So, do you think the word queer can be used as an umbrella term for both sexuality and gender, or just for those who are lgbtq+?

Would appreciate any response, like i say, i just want to open up a discussion about this! :smile:
Yes, I personally think queer applies to anyone who is LGBTQ+ whether that be sexually queer or gender queer.

Although there is some debate about wheter the term queer should be used at all considering it began as an offensive term.

I’m a bisexual cis girl btw :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending