The Student Room Group

Same old question - Should I apply?

I'm sorry if you all are sick of this question, but I'm wanting to get some opinions of whether I should apply, given my contextual factors.
I'll be applying to study Japanese (preferably at Queens')

My main worry is GCSEs:
I got 2A*s, 4As and 4Bs. However, I went to a school that was, at the time, in special measures. 4 of these subjects I had to teach myself as I had very little teaching time in both year 10 and year 11. However, I did purely teach myself Italian as I have a passion for learning languages. Even though these weren't the highest results in my school, I was still the most improved student in the school.
I'm just wondering if they're factors that Cambridge will take into account if I were able to get my teachers to put these on my reference.

With A-levels ,I put an unreal amount of work in. I didn't take AS exams rather internal exams that my school put together. I got the highest marks in my classes gaining A*AB in Geography, English and French respectively, my teachers have since said that they're happy to predict me A*AA. [From what I've gathered I will only be giving my predicted grades to Cambridge]

Super-Curricular activities that I've done include master classes in both Oxford and Cambridge in Linguistics and Japanese, alongside learning the language as much as I can at home, alongside reading of the history and culture of the country.

Given the improvement that I've made, and the work I've put into my A-levels and my Super Curricular study, would I stand a chance of getting an interview, even with the contextual factors of my GCSEs?
Reply 1
Original post by AJSKFAQ2
I'm sorry if you all are sick of this question, but I'm wanting to get some opinions of whether I should apply, given my contextual factors.
I'll be applying to study Japanese (preferably at Queens':wink:

My main worry is GCSEs:
I got 2A*s, 4As and 4Bs. However, I went to a school that was, at the time, in special measures. 4 of these subjects I had to teach myself as I had very little teaching time in both year 10 and year 11. However, I did purely teach myself Italian as I have a passion for learning languages. Even though these weren't the highest results in my school, I was still the most improved student in the school.
I'm just wondering if they're factors that Cambridge will take into account if I were able to get my teachers to put these on my reference.

With A-levels ,I put an unreal amount of work in. I didn't take AS exams rather internal exams that my school put together. I got the highest marks in my classes gaining A*AB in Geography, English and French respectively, my teachers have since said that they're happy to predict me A*AA. [From what I've gathered I will only be giving my predicted grades to Cambridge]

Super-Curricular activities that I've done include master classes in both Oxford and Cambridge in Linguistics and Japanese, alongside learning the language as much as I can at home, alongside reading of the history and culture of the country.

Given the improvement that I've made, and the work I've put into my A-levels and my Super Curricular study, would I stand a chance of getting an interview, even with the contextual factors of my GCSEs?

Why not ask an actual Cambridge admissions tutor in his thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5440032

:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Why not ask an actual Cambridge admissions tutor in his thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5440032

:smile:

Thanks for bringing this up! Never noticed this.

Latest

Trending

Trending