What do you think about KPop? Watch

Serendipity13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
- Do you like it?
- Why do you think KPop is so popular around the world?
- Any KPop bands that you have heard of or listened to?
- Positives/negatives of KPop
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I like it - not love. I listen to BTS, Blackpink and sometimes Exo, iKon, etc. Whatever happens to play. I’ve always liked listening to music in different languages and I like the style. It’s soft but also has a good tune? and the language is beautiful.

I feel like a lot of its popularity is because all the idols are beautiful - whether it’s natural or not, they have a flawless aesthetic and so much of their career is about their looks and aesthetics. Also they are trained so hard to be perfect...

I like that we’re growing and accepting new cultures but in a way I prefer some other idols that are more natural and realistic, rather than trained meticulously. With kpop focusing so much on body image, it’s hard not to be self-concious of your body.

As music, I really like it, but the whole “culture” of it... not so much.

BTW I mean no offence by any of this. I have great respect for kpop idols and everything they do, and I do listen to them a lot of the time - BTS is one of my favourite bands.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Serendipity13
Rep:
?
(Original post by bfm.mcdermott)
I like it - not love. I listen to BTS, Blackpink and sometimes Exo, iKon, etc. Whatever happens to play. I’ve always liked listening to music in different languages and I like the style. It’s soft but also has a good tune? and the language is beautiful.

I feel like a lot of its popularity is because all the idols are beautiful - whether it’s natural or not, they have a flawless aesthetic and so much of their career is about their looks and aesthetics. Also they are trained so hard to be perfect...

I like that we’re growing and accepting new cultures but in a way I prefer some other idols that are more natural and realistic, rather than trained meticulously. With kpop focusing so much on body image, it’s hard not to be self-concious of your body.

As music, I really like it, but the whole “culture” of it... not so much.

BTW I mean no offence by any of this. I have great respect for kpop idols and everything they do, and I do listen to them a lot of the time - BTS is one of my favourite bands.
Hi! Thank you for your reply. My own views are quite similar to yours too. I also like listening to music from different countries in various languages. My fave band is also BTS but I also like SHINee and BTOB and I listen to many others like iKON and EXO.
bfm.mcdermott
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Serendipity13)
Hi! Thank you for your reply. My own views are quite similar to yours too. I also like listening to music from different countries in various languages. My fave band is also BTS but I also like SHINee and BTOB and I listen to many others like iKON and EXO.
Oh cool! I guessed you liked BTS based on your username😂
I haven’t heard of SHINee or BTOB - I’ll make sure to check them out tomorrow
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think that KPop belongs in Music, not Chat.
MaioftheBlizzard
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm new to the whole KPop thing but I love it. I prefer foreign language songs as I enjoy learning what the lyrics mean in English and finding about references that only make sense in the original language. Right now I'm only into BTS and Blackpink but I'm enjoying the music.
Serendipity13
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
I think that KPop belongs in Music, not Chat.
I'm sorry! Thank you for moving the thread :-)
Rainfall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I got a boy on my chin
Serendipity13
Rep:
?
(Original post by bfm.mcdermott)
Oh cool! I guessed you liked BTS based on your username😂
I haven’t heard of SHINee or BTOB - I’ll make sure to check them out tomorrow
Haha! Yeah I really liked that song as well as other ones from their last album as well as their latest one.

Check them out! They're both good! SHINee debuted back in 2008 so they've been in this industry for a while and they celebrated their 10th anniversary in May. Sometimes I feel like BTOB is a little underrated but they're still well known in Korea. They've both released their new albums too.
Serendipity13
Rep:
?
(Original post by MaioftheBlizzard)
I'm new to the whole KPop thing but I love it. I prefer foreign language songs as I enjoy learning what the lyrics mean in English and finding about references that only make sense in the original language. Right now I'm only into BTS and Blackpink but I'm enjoying the music.
I'm pretty new too. Well I started having an interest around October time last year and a month later I decided to check it out! The rest as they say is history 😁

Yep! Same here :-)

Nice to meet some ARMYs here on TSR! 💜
I've listened to a few songs by Blackpink but in terms of girl groups I prefer TWICE and Red Velvet. There are other bands that I like too but they have disbanded already
hannah00
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
fake and manufactured
Serendipity13
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannah00)
fake and manufactured
I respect your opinion but could you please expand on this a little bit more.
ohdearstudying
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Tbh I don’t know any of the alleged K-Pop artists the locals are listing apart from Skinny LOONA and BLACKPINK

🤓🤓😂
hannah00
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Serendipity13)
I respect your opinion but could you please expand on this a little bit more.
Have you heard of this british-irish band called the saturdays ? Basically a bunch of photogenic individual singers brought together to make a band by a music label, heavily use autotune and cash in.

The band has no real message, history or personal story in their songs. The goal for the muslim label is just to make money.

I feel like a large percentage of k pop follows this model

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35368705

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...a6eaa1d9c2e820
IC4 SAV
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
worst thing ever - brainwashing lil kids in year 7 and 8 - their lives are sad af.
Afforestation
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Just another genre of music which has nothing to do with musical ability. The talent goes to the bottom and the b*llshit gets popular.
spidle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Afforestation)
Just another genre of music which has nothing to do with musical ability. The talent goes to the bottom and the b*llshit gets popular.
I think that's an unfair opinion.
Jono*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think it's weird and I can't see the appeal
Incunabula
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Plastic
dartagnankillian
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Main genre I listen to, I like how it’s just happy and makes me wanna dance and be all cute 😂
But... I don’t get the BTS hype 🤷🏽*♀️🤷🏽*♀️
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1620)
79.14%
Leave (427)
20.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise