If I cannot get into a Russel Group University will I be at a disadvantage?

Watch
Charlotte91011
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to study English Literature with Creative Writing. Since this is a competitive course, will I be disadvantaged getting a job after Uni going against Russel Group University students? I always thought I was clever enough in school, but now looking at entry requirements I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to get into a Russel Group Uni!
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nah. A good number of good universities aren't Russell group. It's pretty much just a marketing group
MaxReid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No.

The Russell Group is hugely overrated.

And quite honestly the sense of entitlement (to internships and jobs) it fosters in its students should be avoided at all costs.
DEͥSTͣIͫNY
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, as long as you have the skill, I don't think it really matters.
There are people who go to the "low ranking" colleges to do their degrees, but still end up at the same place as people from Oxbridge. It's hard, but possible.
In the end, you are at uni for knowledge. If you let a degree or university define you, then it's going to be hard to be successful. You just have to be dedicated and enjoy what you are doing.
MadamePompadour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you looked on unistats to see the outcomes of students who have studied English literature and creative writing at the universities you are considering?

Universities pay to join the Russell Group. Some of those universities in the group used to be the old polytechnic colleges and do not hold as good a reputation as the older more traditional universities in the group.

You need to do some proper research on the courses and outcomes. Many courses at non Russell Group Universities offer courses on a par with the lower rated Russell Group Universities so you wont lose out by going elsewhere.

Also for context when I've been recruiting in the past (I'm old and a mature student) I've never noticed or taken into account where anyone gained their degree except for the Oxbridge students. They seem to mention their Oxbridge degree frequently throughout the recruitment process.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MadamePompadour)
Some of those universities in the group used to be the old polytechnic colleges
Such as?

Posted from TSR Mobile
BritishJew
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, if you don't get into a Russell Group university you will be eating super noodles from food banks and picking up half smoked cigarettes off the floor by the time you are 25.
MissScarlet24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In general, no one cares where you do your degree, unless it's right down at the bottom of the league tables and even then.
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Here's a question for you - which do you think employers value more:

(scenario a) a graduate who has a good degree, in a broad subject, and transferable skills they have acquired through work experience

(scenario b) a RG graduate who has a not so good degree, in a niche subject, with no transferable skills, no work experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (318)
34.19%
No (612)
65.81%

Watched Threads