The Student Room Group

Are my Economics uni choices too risky considering my grades?

Hello,

I have just received my predicted grades of:

Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Economics - A*
Further Maths - A

I planned on applying to:

-Oxford, UCL, LSE, Warwick and Bristol

I do think I can achieve my predicted grades, and my GCSEs are strong. I planned on using the summer to do a lot of wider reading for PS/interview.

However, my further maths prediction is A and Economics degrees are highly mathematical - thus are my uni choices too risky? I often see applicants with A* FM.

I don't want 5 rejections.

Kind Regards,
Reply 1
To be honest, I'm unsure as to what you're implying.

If you're suggesting my aspirations are too high, then which universities do you think will place the least emphasis on FM?

If you're suggesting they aren't, then my concern arises from the fact that 'WhichUni' seems to suggest a lot of successful applicants have A* FM.

Thanks,
I am doing the exact same subjects as you and am applying to similar universities to read economics. As someone who has researched extensively about universities, I do not think you should be concerned just because you are not predicted an A* in further maths.
Reply 3
Original post by boojai
I am doing the exact same subjects as you and am applying to similar universities to read economics. As someone who has researched extensively about universities, I do not think you should be concerned just because you are not predicted an A* in further maths.

Oh wow that's rather interesting.

If you don't mind, what research has lead you to that conclusion?

Kind Regards,
Original post by MrMoment
Hello,

Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Economics - A*
Further Maths - A

I do think I can achieve my predicted grades, and my GCSEs are strong. I planned on using the summer to do a lot of wider reading for PS/interview.

However, my further maths prediction is A and Economics degrees are highly mathematical - thus are my uni choices too risky? I often see applicants with A* FM.

Kind Regards,

I think you’d definitely get into Bristol with those grades, probably Warwick and definitely at least 1 of the remaining 3. AT LEAST!

Your grades are amazing! Further Maths is a lot harder than A Level Maths by nature so generally most people get a slightly lower grade.
Reply 5
Original post by boojai
Would you mind contacting me [mod deleted]

Please do not post personal info. Thanks.
Charlie, people like you are annoying asf.
Reply 7
Hello,

Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Economics - A*
Further Maths - A

Kind Regards,

You will get at least 2-3 offers.

Bristol has an 86% offer rate:
https://university.which.co.uk/university-of-bristol-b78/courses/economics-bsc-hons-2018-075ad86d531b
I do all 4 same subjects as you and I think those grades will get you at least to the interview stage at all five of your choices. Make sure to have lots of supercurricular activities, i.e. reading economic books or watching documentaries. My predicted grades are A* Maths, A* Further Maths, A* chemistry and A economics and I have Cambridge as my 1st choice. Good luck with the application process, with those predicted grades you will be fine.
This post is funny, not sure how you could be concerned.

Because theres no cause for concern, your already in the top 1-3% of students.

If you dont get uni offers, no else will either lol.

Top universities are usually satisfied as long as you are taking further maths (you are predicted A which is good). Take LSE for example, the offer I received before (and most other applicants) was A*AA with a pass in Further Maths. You're in a good place atm - focus on working on your personal statement and search up some good examples online.
Someone is egoistical, you know you are a very good student, but feel the need to big yourself up through confirmation of others.
Choices are fine, FM is looked at a lot in Cambridge alongside your normal maths scores due to the mathematical rigour of the course but you're applying Oxford anyways which isn't as heavily emphasised. Being truly interested in the course will get you a long way, make sure your passion for the subject shines through!
Hello,

Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Economics - A*
Further Maths - A

I would put one with a bit lower grades as these are the first sittings for the new Maths/Further Maths and you'll need an insurance.

Quick Reply