The Student Room Group

citalopram

i was started on this 3 days ago for anxiety and depression, he has given me them for 2 weeks and then i have to go back.

so far iv been nauseas and iv had the jitters, like tremors as well as the excessive yawning, all of which are stated on the side effect list
how long will these side effects last?
Reply 1
Original post by Ciel.
Physical symptoms should improve within weeks of starting it. However... Citalopram = pure poison. Throw it in the bin.

is it really that bad?
there the ones he gave me
I've been on Citalopram for a couple of years now, for me the worst of the side effects went away in about a week, and the only noticeable one I continue to experience is very vivid dreams. Ideally the side effects should lessen in a week or two but obviously everyone reacts differently. I hope you start feeling better soon :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
I've been on Citalopram for a couple of years now, for me the worst of the side effects went away in about a week, and the only noticeable one I continue to experience is very vivid dreams. Ideally the side effects should lessen in a week or two but obviously everyone reacts differently. I hope you start feeling better soon :smile:

lovely thankyou :smile:
i used to have dreams about loved ones dying and they stopped for quite a while but as soon as i started these i dreamt my dad died :/
Reply 4
Original post by shawtyb
is it really that bad?
there the ones he gave me

It is.
Reply 5
Original post by shawtyb
i was started on this 3 days ago for anxiety and depression, he has given me them for 2 weeks and then i have to go back.

so far iv been nauseas and iv had the jitters, like tremors as well as the excessive yawning, all of which are stated on the side effect list
how long will these side effects last?

Hi there. Starting any antidepressants tends to be a bit of a rough ride to start. Nausea, shaking, feeling generally unwell is all quite common with citalopram. It should improve over time though cos basically right now your body is a puppy with a lemon going "what the hell is this!?" about the citalopram. As your body gets more used to it those side effects should improve drastically if not totally go away. Things usually improve over the first couple of weeks so hopefully by the time you see your GP again you'll be feeling a lot better. It can take a month or so to get really used to it though and at times it might feel weird as it gets to work.

I went on citalopram a few years ago. I threw up on day one, felt ill for the next few days, had some more mild appetite changes/ nausea for a couple of weeks and over the whole course of it there were some times I felt a bit weird cos of how it was changing my mood (it was progress, but it still felt odd). About 2 years after going on it I felt like I was stable enough to come off the citalopram and maintain my own mental health. All in all I am very glad I went on it and would say it is largely to than for what I consider a full recovery.

People have different experiences with antidepressants and some people will have bad experiences on them. Some people are also just against the whole idea of ADs (which is fine as their ow choice). From what I am aware though citalopram is one of the best antidepressants especially for young people. There are a lot of scare stories out there, but just remember people who have had a good experience aren't likely to feel the need to spread that far and wide. People with bad experiences are more likely to want to vent about it or warn people so it's mostly that you're going to see.
If you have any concerns about taking any medications talk it over with your GP. They have access to much better information on medications and any medication needs to go through trials before being authorises as a prescription.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. :smile:
Is normal :hugs: they should clear soon
Reply 7
Original post by Kindred
Hi there. Starting any antidepressants tends to be a bit of a rough ride to start. Nausea, shaking, feeling generally unwell is all quite common with citalopram. It should improve over time though cos basically right now your body is a puppy with a lemon going "what the hell is this!?" about the citalopram. As your body gets more used to it those side effects should improve drastically if not totally go away. Things usually improve over the first couple of weeks so hopefully by the time you see your GP again you'll be feeling a lot better. It can take a month or so to get really used to it though and at times it might feel weird as it gets to work.

I went on citalopram a few years ago. I threw up on day one, felt ill for the next few days, had some more mild appetite changes/ nausea for a couple of weeks and over the whole course of it there were some times I felt a bit weird cos of how it was changing my mood (it was progress, but it still felt odd). About 2 years after going on it I felt like I was stable enough to come off the citalopram and maintain my own mental health. All in all I am very glad I went on it and would say it is largely to than for what I consider a full recovery.

People have different experiences with antidepressants and some people will have bad experiences on them. Some people are also just against the whole idea of ADs (which is fine as their ow choice). From what I am aware though citalopram is one of the best antidepressants especially for young people. There are a lot of scare stories out there, but just remember people who have had a good experience aren't likely to feel the need to spread that far and wide. People with bad experiences are more likely to want to vent about it or warn people so it's mostly that you're going to see.
If you have any concerns about taking any medications talk it over with your GP. They have access to much better information on medications and any medication needs to go through trials before being authorises as a prescription.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. :smile:

that helps loads thankyou :smile: i feel as though iv lost alot of weight through the not eating due to anxiety etc, i feel thinner if thats even such a thing

Original post by Ciel.
It is.

how though

Original post by CoolCavy
Is normal :hugs: they should clear soon

wonderful ty so much
Reply 8
Don't listen to fearmongers. Citalopram is a very safe and relatively new medication - helped me to get through a rough patch in the past as it has many others. All the best :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by shawtyb
that helps loads thankyou :smile: i feel as though iv lost alot of weight through the not eating due to anxiety etc, i feel thinner if thats even such a thing

how though

wonderful ty so much

First - there's still no proof that a deficiency in the serotonin system causes depression. Second - a ton of studies show that antidepressants don't do anything for depression, and it's all placebo. Third - studies found that these drugs cause strange changes in neurons, changes that can actually be considered brain damage. These effects can be permanent, too. Plus the side effects can be deadly.

Original post by cxlvin
Don't listen to fearmongers. Citalopram is a very safe and relatively new medication - helped me to get through a rough patch in the past as it has many others. All the best :smile:

You don't know anything about psychiatric medications. "Helped you". Yeah. Placebo effect.
When I was on Citalopram I would sleep for 16 hours a day.
Its not worth the side effects, I'd ask to be prescribed an alternative.
Ignore Ciel, they are not a qualified doctor, pharmacist or mental health worker.

The irony that they are telling someone they don't know anything about psychiatric medication.

If you have concerns OP speak to your GP, mental health professional (who is also trained on medication) or a pharmacist.
Original post by Ciel.
I may not be a doctor, but I know about antidepressants a lot more than an average GP does. And seriously. A pharmacist? You want her to put her mental health in the hands of a pharmacist? Wow. 😆

Ignore Sophie, OP. She's lost it.

The fact you think you know more about medications than a pharmacists proves you are either delusional or have no idea what a pharmacist is.

OP should be very careful with her mental health, and certainly should not be taking advice from the likes of you.

As I said, she should speak to professionals. Of which you are not, nor do you come even close to. And no you do not know more than the professionals. It's laughable you would even suggest it.
Hi guys please remember this isn't the place to be arguing or debating. OP has asked for some input on side effects, not a debate on anideprssants and the role of pharmacists. Please also be aware that this thread is for input only and should not be used in place of seeing an actual medical professional.

If people continue to derail this thread I will need to step in. Don't make me do that please. I don't like being the mean parent.
Reply 14
Original post by SophieSmall
The fact you think you know more about medications than a pharmacists proves you are either delusional or have no idea what a pharmacist is.

OP should be very careful with her mental health, and certainly should not be taking advice from the likes of you.

As I said, she should speak to professionals. Of which you are not, nor do you come even close to. And no you do not know more than the professionals. It's laughable you would even suggest it.

About CERTAIN medications. Yes, I do. It may come as a surprise to you, but some people are capable of self-learning. Of course, others, less fortunate, such as yourself, lack the intelligence to do so. But hey, don't worry, dumb people are usually happier than intelligent people, so no antidepressants for you!
Reply 15
Original post by Kindred
Hi guys please remember this isn't the place to be arguing or debating. OP has asked for some input on side effects, not a debate on anideprssants and the role of pharmacists. Please also be aware that this thread is for input only and should not be used in place of seeing an actual medical professional.

If people continue to derail this thread I will need to step in. Don't make me do that please. I don't like being the mean parent.

Yes please, tell Sophie to back off, she's being a pain. 😆 I responded to the OP, and then only provided further explanation/opinion when the OP asked me to, and she just can't deal with it. Lol.
Original post by Ciel.
Yes please, tell Sophie to back off, she's being a pain. 😆 I responded to the OP, and then only provided further explanation/opinion when the OP asked me to, and she just can't deal with it. Lol.

I am asking both of you and anybody else to not engage in debate here. If anybody continues to debate in places where it isn't appropriate please just ignore them and either report it or tag me in so it can be dealt with without escalating.
I was taking it for over 6 weeks and I can say it had a really bad effect on me. I could sleep all day during that time, didn't give sh.. about anything. My hands were shaking and had very high pressure. It didn't help me at all, people around me (family and friends) said that I act strange when I was taking it. I stopped taking them after that time. It didn't help me at all, it was worse then without them because I felt like I am on drugs then, very sleepy and alienated. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone..........
Original post by Ciel.
You meanie! Lmao. If she continues quoting me and talking ****, then I will have no choice but to respond. Can't have her misleading the OP here. But don't worry, I will post my response on her wall, to save you the trouble, dear. /shrugs

You have voiced your view on the matter and OP can see that. They have the tools to make their own decisions on the matter. Please don't take this any further. There is no need.
I was started on citalopram last week, I took one tablet by the evening my partner had to phone for an ambulance as I was hallucinating, vomiting, agony with chest pains and couldn’t breathe. It turns out I had an allergic reaction to the tablets. I’m now frightened to try another tablet as don’t want to feel like that again.

Quick Reply

Latest