Recommended Translation for "The Odyssey"? Watch

JJM_2000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello everyone,

I'll be applying for Classics this autumn and as I've no experience with Greek or Latin I want to bulk up on extra-curricular reading.

I study The Iliad under an E.V Rieu translation and The Aeneid as translated by David West for Classic Civ. and I've read The Iliad already, soon to finish The Aeneid. Point is, I want to cover Homer's The Odyssey too but, as I've always just been told which translation to get, I'm not exactly sure which translation I should read. I don't know if it would look better on my PS to show that I've read two of Homer's Epics under different translations, or whether it would be better to just read the Rieu translation again.

I imagine I'm completely overthinking it, but thanks anyway. Recommended translations are appreciated! Anything that may invoke discussion in my PS or interview.
Thanks,
JJ
yorkgal101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey - the edition that was recommended in the syllabus for OCR's Classical Civilisation (AS level) was translated by E V Rieu, published by Penguin.

There's a new translation by Emily Wilson which looks really interesting. She has a very lively twitter feed too, if you're interested!

Good luck
yorkgal101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sorry, I've just ready your OP properly and can see that you've read Rieu's translation (duh!).

Try Emily Wilson's - being the first woman to offer a translation of the work, I think she'll have some really interesting perspectives. There's a Guardian review here.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Why not read both Rieu's and Wilson's translations? Translation comparison is an overlooked, but really useful skill to develop and your ability to compare and contrast approaches to the Odyssey would look rather good in a PS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?