The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into law?

I'm not sure what my chances of succeeding in law really are. I got okay A-levels (Distinction, B, C) and although I realise that for law this is not a great start, it does fulfill the 300 UCAS point tariff many firms have. I have a 2:1 degree with a first in my dissertation (grades have been relatively inconsistent across modules for varying reasons) but I've had no grade lower than a B- this year. I studied History from a top 10 uni and want to do the GDL/LPC with ULAW in Manchester, but I cannot afford it without funding from a TC, or building up money/experience for a year or two.

I've had a number of jobs (McDonalds, Open Day Ambassador, interned as an archivist, delivery driver) but not much extracurricular stuff with the exception of fresher repping in this last year. I got a week's worth of experience with a solicitor (mostly reading through case files/talking to clients on the phone) at a relatively small regional firm recently and it definitely didn't deter me from wanting to do law.

My girlfriend wants to move into Manchester with me by the end of this summer as well but with no money I either need to secure a TC that's willing to pay for my gdl or I need to find a job within the sector to support me in the meantime. Problem with this is that I'm wary of the new SQE deadline which I'd rather not do considering no one really knows anything about it yet and it might actually hurt my chances.

Do I really stand much of a chance?

Any advice much appreciated
Original post by Dean Riding
I'm not sure what my chances of succeeding in law really are. I got okay A-levels (Distinction, B, C) and although I realise that for law this is not a great start, it does fulfill the 300 UCAS point tariff many firms have. I have a 2:1 degree with a first in my dissertation (grades have been relatively inconsistent across modules for varying reasons) but I've had no grade lower than a B- this year. I studied History from a top 10 uni and want to do the GDL/LPC with ULAW in Manchester, but I cannot afford it without funding from a TC, or building up money/experience for a year or two.

I've had a number of jobs (McDonalds, Open Day Ambassador, interned as an archivist, delivery driver) but not much extracurricular stuff with the exception of fresher repping in this last year. I got a week's worth of experience with a solicitor (mostly reading through case files/talking to clients on the phone) at a relatively small regional firm recently and it definitely didn't deter me from wanting to do law.

My girlfriend wants to move into Manchester with me by the end of this summer as well but with no money I either need to secure a TC that's willing to pay for my gdl or I need to find a job within the sector to support me in the meantime. Problem with this is that I'm wary of the new SQE deadline which I'd rather not do considering no one really knows anything about it yet and it might actually hurt my chances.

Do I really stand much of a chance?

Any advice much appreciated

Talk to JSP as recruitment is her thing.

Unfortunately the competition is high and you want what every other TC chaser wants which is sponsorship. If you are confident you meet the UCAS points, then apply, although note that is a minimum.

There cant be that many firms in Manchester who are willing to pay and will meet your requirements, so I would apply to all of them and maybe spread out to Leeds as well.
The lower down the food chain you go the less likely they are to pay for your course, which is why many take a gamble and use student finance or even bank loans.

Your legal work experience is weak in terms of length, depth and range imo. You will be competing against people who have taken the time to acquire much more. Other firms similar to the ones you are applying to , local government, business or anything in the justice system or advice giving would all be a step in the right direction.

I wouldnt be scared about SQE and it may work in your favour as you get to work and sit exams in stages rather than doing and paying for them all at once.
Original post by 999tigger
Talk to JSP as recruitment is her thing.

Unfortunately the competition is high and you want what every other TC chaser wants which is sponsorship. If you are confident you meet the UCAS points, then apply, although note that is a minimum.

There cant be that many firms in Manchester who are willing to pay and will meet your requirements, so I would apply to all of them and maybe spread out to Leeds as well.
The lower down the food chain you go the less likely they are to pay for your course, which is why many take a gamble and use student finance or even bank loans.

Your legal work experience is weak in terms of length, depth and range imo. You will be competing against people who have taken the time to acquire much more. Other firms similar to the ones you are applying to , local government, business or anything in the justice system or advice giving would all be a step in the right direction.

I wouldnt be scared about SQE and it may work in your favour as you get to work and sit exams in stages rather than doing and paying for them all at once.

Are you saying I should try to build up some experience before bothering? If so, is there anything you could recommend that would be beneficial in particular? I know there's the standard paralegal route
Original post by Dean Riding
Are you saying I should try to build up some experience before bothering? If so, is there anything you could recommend that would be beneficial in particular? I know there's the standard paralegal route

I thought I gave you an idea of where to look.

Ideally you could get a vacation scheme. Other candidates could have two or three.

Anything reasonably legal.
Anything reasonably commercial.
Anything to do with the legal system.
Anything to do with advice giving.
Anything where you get to practice the skills they look for in a lawyer.

I would have thought on an experience level your application is week and others who have made more effort to gain relevant experience will be able to stand out more. You need to look at the whole application process and think who you are competing against. Dont make yourself easy to reject. There are limited firms in Manchester, who will pay for your GDL.
Original post by J-SP
It sounds like you need to give things a try before making assumptions about your chances. What’s the worst that will happen? You lose hours, potentially a few days of your time applying.

The advice above in generally sound. Personally I would avoid the SQE if it was me - 1) there’s no guarantees it will be ready for 2020 and even if it was 2) no one wants to be in the guinea pig years and 3) no one knows the cost of it yet.

Generally it seems like you need to get networking and start applying to firms, whether that be for open days, work experience weeks, vac schemes, paralegal work (difficult with no legal training though) or training contracts.

Also look for interim roles within business support roles in law firms too - anything compliance/risk/BD related can be a good stepping stone.

I saw a Legal Accounts Assistant role yesterday (which is more finance than law), would that be good to go for or is there something that would be more directly relevant that would be beneficial?
Original post by J-SP
Anything is better than nothing. Is the role with a law firm?

Yeah I think it's supposed to be in a accounting department within a law firm, I'm just wondering if there's something more useful I could go for. I don't really know anyone who does law myself so I've been having to do a lot of research online and I see some conflicting information in places

Quick Reply

Latest