The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Psychology Masters at Royal Holloway, Birkbeck, Goldsmiths or UEL

Hi there!

I'm planning on studying a Masters Psychology course in London, and I'm deciding which universities to apply to. Researching which unis are best for Psychology, Royal Holloway, Birkbeck, Goldmsiths and UEL came up (other than the more prestigious ones like Kings and UCL). Anyone have any first hand experience of these unis, particularly the Psych departments in post grad? Thank you!
I have experience with Royal Holloway, not Psychology PG but I did take a few psychology modules at UG and then a MA in a different department. I think the atmosphere at the uni is very friendly, there's lots of support if it's needed, the accommodation is much cheaper than the other unis you mentioned as it's out of the way - but some may see that as a negative. Whilst it is a University of London college, the train from Egham to London Waterloo is a little lengthy (around an hour I'd say but I'm not 100% on that). The train station is about a 15 minute walk from the main uni campus. I feel like the library facilities when I were there were brilliant (you have Bedford which is more modern and Founders which is just like a library you'd see in Harry Potter). They have since built a huge library though which I haven't experienced but I can only see it as a positive! It's a lovely walk through Saville Gardens to Windsor, however I'd say Egham itself doesn't have much to offer, adding to that 'campus feel'. Reputation wise I would list it higher than the other unis you mentioned but I suppose I'm biased haha! Psychology wise, just from my minimal experience, I found the majority of teaching was delivered through lectures. The lecturers were very clear and engaging, and even when they weren't the hand outs they produced were. You were made to feel like if you're genuinely interested in your subject matter then have time to focus on that as well as the key theory which I thought was fantastic.

If you'd like to know anything more specific please do ask! Sorry I couldn't help with anything more Psychology specific.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Reply 2
Thank you so much @PlannerHannah! That is really helpful info 😊
Original post by Sofia_G
Hi there!

I'm planning on studying a Masters Psychology course in London, and I'm deciding which universities to apply to. Researching which unis are best for Psychology, Royal Holloway, Birkbeck, Goldmsiths and UEL came up (other than the more prestigious ones like Kings and UCL). Anyone have any first hand experience of these unis, particularly the Psych departments in post grad? Thank you!

Hi Sofia_G,

It looks like @PlannerHannah has given you some great information about Royal Holloway. If you'd like to speak to a current Psychology student or a current postgraduate student, you are more than welcome to start a conversation on our website here.

Susana :smile:
Hi @Sofia_G (and well played @Royal Holloway, University of London)

Some of the courses we offer are quite different, so I recommend taking a look in more detail to see which is most suited to you (some of our Psychology programmes are quite niche).

Please feel free to drop by and see the campus at any time, or book a guided tour.

If you have any queries, you are always welcome to DM me, or you can contact our friendly Psychology department. :biggrin:

Original post by Sofia_G
Hi there!

Reply 5
@Royal Holloway, University of London and @Goldsmiths, University of London, thank you so much for your responses! I am planning on coming to London before Christmas this year, could you advise as to when your universities close for the Christmas break?

Also FYI, I am looking at the MSc in Foundations in Clinical Psychology at Goldsmiths and the MSc in Clinical Psychology at RH, as I would like to one day do my PhD clinical psychology training.
Hi @Sofia_G

Our Autumn term finishes on 14th December, but for the best chance to talk to students and staff I recommend coming to the postgraduate open evening on 21st November.

Happy (course) hunting! :top2:

Original post by Sofia_G
@Royal Holloway, University of London and @Goldsmiths, University of London, thank you so much for your responses! I am planning on coming to London before Christmas this year, could you advise as to when your universities close for the Christmas break?

Also FYI, I am looking at the MSc in Foundations in Clinical Psychology at Goldsmiths and the MSc in Clinical Psychology at RH, as I would like to one day do my PhD clinical psychology training.
Original post by Sofia_G

Our Autumn term also finishes on Friday 14 December. We offer weekly campus tours every Wednesday at 2pm and you can book your place here.

Susana :smile:
Original post by Sofia_G
Hi there!

In my personal opinion, I would avoid UEL (speaking from current experience as a Masters student). Most of us in my cohort and previous/consecutive ones feel we made a bad decision. If I had my time again, I would not have made this choice. The stats say UEL isn't in the same league as the ones you are considering - though it does have posters everywhere saying it is the 'most improved' which is a bit like saying ' not as bad as we used to be.' Speaks volumes. Good luck in your decision. Chose wisely as we know it is an expensive and emotionally draining mistake.
Reply 9
@julie andrews thank you very much for this

Quick Reply

Latest