The Student Room Group

Am I able to retake a year in year 12 to do A levels instead of BTEC??

I am currently studying health and social care and children’s play and learning. However, I extremely dislike these two subjects as I find them very boring and the careers based on these two subjects is not what I plan to do in the future. I completely regret taking these subjects. I hope to study applied science, sociology and either history or geography. I got six Cs in my GCSEs therefore I’m wondering whether it’s possible to retake a year in year 12?
Original post by Lolz684
I am currently studying health and social care and children’s play and learning. However, I extremely dislike these two subjects as I find them very boring and the careers based on these two subjects is not what I plan to do in the future. I completely regret taking these subjects. I hope to study applied science, sociology and either history or geography. I got six Cs in my GCSEs therefore I’m wondering whether it’s possible to retake a year in year 12?

It is entirely at the discretion of your school.

It is quite common for schools and colleges to expect a grade B for any subject you plant to take at A level. They may let you do other BTECS, but you would need to convince them you were serious and that you knew what your future career or target course was. The new courses seem quite scattered.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
It is entirely at the discretion of your school.

It is quite common for schools and colleges to expect a grade B for any subject you plant to take at A level. They may let you do other BTECS, but you would need to convince them you were serious and that you knew what your future career or target course was. The new courses seem quite scattered.

I received a grade 4 in English language and I retook the subject to get a higher grade ( at least a grade 6 or 7). So if I do get the grades will I be able to retake?
Original post by Lolz684
I received a grade 4 in English language and I retook the subject to get a higher grade ( at least a grade 6 or 7). So if I do get the grades will I be able to retake?

It is up to your school. Normally they only let people retake if they have done very poorly or you had extenuating circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest