The Student Room Group

Is it bad I've still not had a job yet?

I'm 18 nearly 19 and I've not had a proper job yet. I do college full time though.
It depends what you want to do after college
Earning extra money is not the only benefit. You’ll learn to work in a team, make new friends, gain experience and most importantly improve your cv for either uni or work later.
Lots of students don’t work through uni for lots of reasons but a significant number need to.
It’s up to you
Most people don't get a job until they're in university which they'll be late 18 or 19 so don't worry.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18 nearly 19 and I've not had a proper job yet. I do college full time though.

I don’t think so. I have a 19-year old grandson lives with me and he is full-time at college and doesn’t have a job.
If you are able to concentrate on your course and dont need to work, then fine. You have all the years ahead of you to work when you have completed your education.
Reply 4
It's not ideal. But it could be worse. I'm 21 and haven't had a job. Obviously the fact that you are doing something full-time is good.
Original post by Anonymous

Yeah it's bad cuz your cv won't have any work experience. I've been working since 16 and worked at McDonald's for the initial work experience then asda and I'm gonna be 18 soon so it's looking good for my cv atm
nah its no big deal.

Just get extra circular experience at uni in leadership roles and internships
Depends on where you want to go. People in high finance and consultancy aren't going to care about your mcdonalds job, they want internships and relevant experience.
Reply 8
I'm 21 and only had my first job (picking litter) this year since it's my break from university. And that was only to get some money to help pay my rent, though it will supposedly help my CV look more attractive. Probably best to do at least one thing before getting into a career. Shows you have some kind of experience, even if it doesn't relate to your chosen profession; teamwork, communication, leadership - all valuable assets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending