Question above^
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
Question above^
Hexane is non polar whereas water is polar. So the hexane molecules don't form hydrogen bonds with the water molecules.
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymouspsych)
Hexane is non polar whereas water is polar. So the hexane molecules don't form hydrogen bonds with the water molecules.
Why does it not form hydrogen bonds with the oxygen?
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because hexane only consists of carbon and hydrogen atoms and only has C-C and C-H bonds. Carbon and hydrogen have similar electronegativities and hence the C-H bond is pretty much non polar (the electronegativity difference is too small so the electron density is shared out quite evenly). This means the hydrogen atoms on the C-H bonds in the hexane molecule are not polarised enough and don't have a strong enough δ+ charge to form hydrogen bonds with the lone pair of electrons on the oxygen atoms in water molecules.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hydrogen bonds can only occur when a H is bonded to an O, N or F. Hexane hydrogens are only bonded to carbons.
xdopaminex
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's a simple question with a simple answer. Hexane is a non-polar molecule and water is polar molecule (Like dissolves like). Hexane is a neutral molecule because of its symmetry. When I say symmetrical, what I mean is that the electro-negativities of the hydrogen atoms have all cancelled out with each other. Also, every carbon atoms are singly-bonded to other 4 atoms and so their orbitals are completely filled (sp3 hybrid), the same goes for the hydrogen orbitals. In summary, there are no extra electrons in the hexane molecule and it is symmetrical which is why it is insoluble.
niv1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It has strong non-polar C-H and C-C bonds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (7)
13.73%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (11)
21.57%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (22)
43.14%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (8)
15.69%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5.88%

Watched Threads