why do people still take up smoking now? Watch

nonotyoutoo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i mean, it's unequivocally accepted as "bad" / unhealthy now. i don't think as "cool" anymore, cost a lot and it's unpleasant when you first start, unlike most other drugs.
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Although generally it’s not seen as “cool” anymore, some people do still do it because it’s “cool”. Some people use it as a coping mechanism. Some people do it to fit in if all their friends are smoking.
nonotyoutoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by bfm.mcdermott)
Although generally it’s not seen as “cool” anymore, some people do still do it because it’s “cool”. Some people use it as a coping mechanism. Some people do it to fit in if all their friends are smoking.
there's vaping now though, if they want to suck on a stick.

(Original post by ecolier)
I can list a few reasons
(1) Bored
(2) Peer pressure
(3) Parents smoke
(4) Perceived as an aid to lose weight / get rid of other addictions
(5) Young people feel indestructible - they "want to try something (perceived as) dangerous"

You think it costs "a lot", it is still relatively cheaper than other (harder) drugs.
yeah, it's "relatively cheaper", but there's not much of a thrill in smoking. eventually, you smoke like you would eat a packet of crisps. there's no occasion to it.

i just find it weird because smoking even well made products is definitely bad dosage indepedent, while alchohol is dosage dependent, and other drugs are more of a purity thing. eg, if you knew your esctasy / coke was unadulteraged and could gauge the dosage, it's safer than smoking etc.
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nonotyoutoo)
yeah, it's "relatively cheaper", but there's not much of a thrill in smoking. eventually, you smoke like you would eat a packet of crisps. there's no occasion to it.

i just find it weird because smoking even well made products is definitely bad dosage indepedent, while alchohol is dosage dependent, and other drugs are more of a purity thing. eg, if you knew your esctasy / coke was unadulteraged and could gauge the dosage, it's safer than smoking etc.
I don’t personally smoke so...
If your whole family smokes, there’s a high chance you’ll start too as a culture kind of thing. I doubt you’d start vaping in the same way.

And as for people who smoke as a coping mechanism, I doubt they care that it’s unhealthy - and the same goes for those with eating disorders who use it to suppress appetite.
nonotyoutoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
I agree it is weird and odd that people do still start to smoke (as a young person), but that's just us judging (as non-smokers).

Remember that the tobacco industry is still mighty and powerful (not as it once was), they invest £millions in psychology and (potentially) word-of-mouth campaigns.

Nicotine is addictive - hence once a few cigarettes are smoked, the person will be hooked and the addiction is formed.
i tried nicotine gum once, didn't think much of it. definitely nothing like smoking. or maybe i would have needed to chew the entire packet haha. I only smoked for a bit when i was at school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads