The Student Room Group

is this socially acceptable??

ok so i’m kinda sick of my cafe job and since i’m on summer break for another 2 months, i’m thinking of getting another job- problem is, most of the ones i’ve seen are for other, equally monotonous cafe jobs

so i really wanted to try my hand at retail just to get a gist of what jobs i can handle and stuff- would it be rude or weird to walk into a store (i’m thinking waterstones) which hasn’t posted out a “hiring” sign or whatever, and ask if they’re hiring??

like if i asked an employee or if i found the manager, would it be too pushy or abrupt to ask if they have any job placements??

thanks! :O
No not really, you can just ask if they are taking Cvs or if they have any vacancies. If your looking for jobs use that indeed jobs website thing, that’ll help find places nearer your location.
But to answer simply as long as you ask politely the worse they can say is no, but it wont be perceived as rude so jus go for it and goodluck! :smile:
Of course not! That’s how I got my last two jobs. Just ask if they’re hiring and take a copy of your CV with you to give them. After all, what have you got to lose?
Original post by anakarinas
ok so i’m kinda sick of my cafe job and since i’m on summer break for another 2 months, i’m thinking of getting another job- problem is, most of the ones i’ve seen are for other, equally monotonous cafe jobs

so i really wanted to try my hand at retail just to get a gist of what jobs i can handle and stuff- would it be rude or weird to walk into a store (i’m thinking waterstones) which hasn’t posted out a “hiring” sign or whatever, and ask if they’re hiring??

like if i asked an employee or if i found the manager, would it be too pushy or abrupt to ask if they have any job placements??

thanks! :O

This is how I prefer to get jobs. I think that because the staff have actually saw you and how your personality is that it gives you a better chance compared to online.
Reply 4
Original post by Sexybadman
No not really, you can just ask if they are taking Cvs or if they have any vacancies. If your looking for jobs use that indeed jobs website thing, that’ll help find places nearer your location.
But to answer simply as long as you ask politely the worse they can say is no, but it wont be perceived as rude so jus go for it and goodluck! :smile:

thanks for the advice!! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by chrissy99
This is how I prefer to get jobs. I think that because the staff have actually saw you and how your personality is that it gives you a better chance compared to online.

fair point! i’ve never really sealed a job online before- my first one was just through a friend who introduced me to the manager, but since i don’t have a connection this time i’m a bit nervous

how do u usually approach the whole “applying in person without knowing anyone” sorta thing, like what do i say to them

thank u!
Gives more results than online sometimes.
Go in and ask if they will take your CV. They will either take it or just refer you to their online recruitment page, so there’s no harm in doing so.
Original post by anakarinas
fair point! i’ve never really sealed a job online before- my first one was just through a friend who introduced me to the manager, but since i don’t have a connection this time i’m a bit nervous

how do u usually approach the whole “applying in person without knowing anyone” sorta thing, like what do i say to them

thank u!

I normally walk in and say 'I was wondering if you had any vacancies at the moment' and if they say no i'll tend to say 'is it okay if I leave it this with you' and if I think they don't have any vacancies I tend to say something along the lines of 'I was looking for a job here and was wondering if I could leave this with you'. Sometimes if they are a retail store I ask for the manager.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending