The Student Room Group

Should I apply for the Natural Sciences course at Cambridge?

I want to apply for the Natural Sciences course at Cambridge, but I've only got an A*AA prediction when they offer A*A*A for a place. Is it still worth applying or not?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by julsusxx
I want to apply for the Natural Sciences course at Cambridge, but I've only got an A*AA prediction when they offer A*A*A for a place. Is it still worth applying or not?

Being blunt, why do you have 'only' A*AA predictions? (And yes, I know that many people would kill for such predictions!)

If you think you can make up for it then it's worth a try. You have zero chance of getting in if you don't apply. But it depends on why your predictions are like this. If your school rarely predicts A*s due to policy or you have other reasons for not getting A*s then you have every reason to apply. If on the other hand you tried your absolute hardest and didn't get A*s in your mocks then it's probably not for you. A Cambridge degree course is tougher than A-levels so they will want to see that you have something left in the tank.

Also don't forget you have the admissions test and the interview to compensate for your predicteds.
Worst case scenario they say no, and you have 4 other options to potentially get 2 offers from; provided you intelligently select your other options to have an approrpiate range of entry criteria to maximise your chance of getting offers, it's no great loss if one turns out to be a dud from the start.

I would suggest it's a longshot unless your teacher(s) can indicate in your academic reference why they haven't predicted you the relevant grades for the course; however good performance in the NSAA and an appropriate reference may net you an interview, and if you do very well in that you may get an offer (which will almost certainly be A*A*A or higher though).
absolutely not. Cambridge know that actual obtained grades are lower than predictions 75% of the time. you aren't even doing a 4th a level. go one step lower, imperial etc.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
absolutely not. Cambridge know that actual obtained grades are lower than predictions 75% of the time. you aren't even doing a 4th a level. go one step lower, imperial etc.

So you assume that the OP's school overpredicts? Some schools are quite hesitant to give out A* predictions.

And Cambridge do not view a 4th A-level as compensation for poor predictions. A*AA = A*AAA according to the ATs.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
Being blunt, why do you have 'only' A*AA predictions? (And yes, I know that many people would kill for such predictions!)

Sorry, didn't mean it like that! I know people would want such predictions, just in comparison to 'Cambridge' standards if you get what I mean :smile:
Reply 7
I want to apply for the Natural Sciences course at Cambridge, but I've got an A*AA prediction when they offer A*A*A for a place. Is it still worth applying or not?

Also forgot to say since someone mentioned it in the thread, I am doing a 4th A Level but I don't know what I have been predicted just yet
Sorry, didn't mean it like that! I know people would want such predictions, just in comparison to 'Cambridge' standards if you get what I mean :smile:

No I don't mean that, sorry. Let me put it another way... Do you have a good reason why you are not predicted A*A*A?
I want to apply for the Natural Sciences course at Cambridge, but I've got an A*AA prediction when they offer A*A*A for a place. Is it still worth applying or not?

No. You are unlikely to be interviewed unless your predictions match/exceed the A*A*A typical offer.
Reply 10
Original post by ageshallnot
No I don't mean that, sorry. Let me put it another way... Do you have a good reason why you are not predicted A*A*A?

Ah I see, sorry for the confusion! My predictions right now are based on my end of year grades, so right now I have been predicted A*AA. But they haven't taken into consideration my target grades (which the school sets for me) which is all A*s. So just in case they don't take into consideration my target grades, I was just wondering if I should still apply
Ah I see, sorry for the confusion! My predictions right now are based on my end of year grades, so right now I have been predicted A*AA. But they haven't taken into consideration my target grades (which the school sets for me) which is all A*s. So just in case they don't take into consideration my target grades, I was just wondering if I should still apply

If you can get predictions of at least A*A*A then give it a shot. If not, you might struggle to get an interview.
Reply 12
I don't see why not. They are definitely careful when reading applications. If you perform well in admissions tests and interviews you stand a chance. I would assume that whatever offer they give would be at least A*A*A.
is there any way you can get up to a*a*a? you have to think about it from their point of view- they have lots of talented applicants who have predictions that either meet or far exceed the minimum requirements, so the predicted grade part of your application isn't going to look good to them if you don't meet their minimum offer requirements
Reply 14

Were you target grades the ones set at the start of Y12 based on your GCSEs? If so they are now redundant and will be superceded by predictions based on your end of Y12 mocks and ongoing performance in class tests etc. Unless you have extenuating circumstances (eg illness or other external factors affecting your academic performance) then an A*AA performance is definitely problematic for Cambridge. But it's possible a strong performance in the NSAA could still secure an interview.

It's only one of your 5 choices so if you apply as a longshot and have some safer alternatives then you have nothing to lose. I also suggest not applying to all your 5 choices at the outset (ie by 15th Oct) keep back a couple of your choices until after you get a decision from Cambridge in November (for interview or not) or early January (when their final decision is made).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest