Working in primark (tills and stuff)

Watch
Rhonwen16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! I just thought I'd put this up in case anyone had any queries about their first day at primark. I have literally just finished my second day and I honestly love it- even though it is so hot on my floor it's ridiculous. Before I started, I was proper stressing about the tills because I had never in my life used one and was trying to find out how to work one without even touching a till before. So basically, you type in the till number your supervisor gives you, you type in the password as well (which you are given and then can change) then you just start scanning stuff until you're done, you press sub total, press either cash, card or gift card- bish bash bosh you're done and you give the receipt. I doubt anyone even needed to know that but I wanted reassurance for the till before and maybe there are others who need it to! Ask ma questions if you want even though I have only been there for one weekend and probs (definitely) still have more to learn but still-
fchy27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I work at primark too and just wanted some advice as I’m new. Do you scan the items then fold them then put them inside the bag? Or do you scan one item them place it in the bag and scan the next item and so on... I’m so confused please help me, I feel like I’m really slow at folding and placing it into the bags. Also, how do you do refunds/exchanges?
Rhonwen16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by fchy27)
Hi, I work at primark too and just wanted some advice as I’m new. Do you scan the items then fold them then put them inside the bag? Or do you scan one item them place it in the bag and scan the next item and so on... I’m so confused please help me, I feel like I’m really slow at folding and placing it into the bags. Also, how do you do refunds/exchanges?
Hey! Even though I no longer work at primark, I always scanned an item, folded it then put it in the bag. And you don’t need to worry about refunds and exchanges unless you work on customer service, so if someone asks you just send them to the customer service desk
Stefani Krasteva
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have an interview these days. Can you give me any advice, please? What to expect, what questions I will be asked, are there any games during the interview itself, should I be dressed in something special? Thank you in advance!
fchy27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rhonwen16)
Hey! Even though I no longer work at primark, I always scanned an item, folded it then put it in the bag. And you don’t need to worry about refunds and exchanges unless you work on customer service, so if someone asks you just send them to the customer service desk
Great!thank you 😛 & I ask because our customer service desk has been removed so now we do returns and exchanges on normal tills
Pro Gamer 2003
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Feel free to help us out in the Primark thread I'll add the link and @ you there so you'll be able to help others out. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6200812
PriyalG
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hii I know this is a little late but what do I do if I scan an item and they say they don’t want it after, how do I take it off? Thanks
Tracey_W
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PriyalG)
Hii I know this is a little late but what do I do if I scan an item and they say they don’t want it after, how do I take it off? Thanks
Call your department supervisor over and explain things to he/she and they will enter a code to authorised this for you ok x
ellasimmons24
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PriyalG)
You press the 'Void item' button and then you find the item on the list and press to remove it/scan it and then it removes it
Preets741
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,What about- Kimble numbers, which number do you put in and into what part of the tills- how do customers pay half card / half cash, how do I do this- how do you let them pay with a gift card- how do you let them buy one and put money on it.I get anxiety about these things and struggle to pick them up even when explained as I get anxiety and stress easily. I’m going back on the tills soon, any advice with the things above.
Preets741
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
What about
- Kimble numbers, which number do you put in and into what part of the tills
- how do customers pay half card / half cash, how do I do this
- how do you let them pay with a gift card
- how do you let them buy one and put money on it.

I get anxiety about these things and struggle to pick them up even when explained as I get anxiety and stress easily and the colleagues just do it for me when I need to know how to do it myself to learn, and that does make me panic a lot . I’m going back on the tills soon, any advice with the things above. 🥺❤️
(Original post by Rhonwen16)
Hi! I just thought I'd put this up in case anyone had any queries about their first day at primark. I have literally just finished my second day and I honestly love it- even though it is so hot on my floor it's ridiculous. Before I started, I was proper stressing about the tills because I had never in my life used one and was trying to find out how to work one without even touching a till before. So basically, you type in the till number your supervisor gives you, you type in the password as well (which you are given and then can change) then you just start scanning stuff until you're done, you press sub total, press either cash, card or gift card- bish bash bosh you're done and you give the receipt. I doubt anyone even needed to know that but I wanted reassurance for the till before and maybe there are others who need it to! Ask ma questions if you want even though I have only been there for one weekend and probs (definitely) still have more to learn but still-
Last edited by Preets741; 1 week ago
ellasimmons24
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Preets741)
Hi,What about- Kimble numbers, which number do you put in and into what part of the tills- how do customers pay half card / half cash, how do I do this- how do you let them pay with a gift card- how do you let them buy one and put money on it.I get anxiety about these things and struggle to pick them up even when explained as I get anxiety and stress easily. I’m going back on the tills soon, any advice with the things above.
Kimble number: 7 digit number that is usually in the middle of three other long numbers (but just look for the 7 digit number in general)
Paying half card half cash: You press 'cash', type in how much they give you, press card (it automatically works out the rest they should pay) and then they tap/use their card and then the cash register should open and you just put the money away
Gift card: There are different gift cards but with the primark gift card you enter their total cost of transaction after you press 'gift card' and then swipe the gift card on the side of your screen
Do not worry about these things because your supervisor should help you or another colleague You will be fine x
Preets741
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ellasimmons24)
Kimble number: 7 digit number that is usually in the middle of three other long numbers (but just look for the 7 digit number in general)
Paying half card half cash: You press 'cash', type in how much they give you, press card (it automatically works out the rest they should pay) and then they tap/use their card and then the cash register should open and you just put the money away
Gift card: There are different gift cards but with the primark gift card you enter their total cost of transaction after you press 'gift card' and then swipe the gift card on the side of your screen
Do not worry about these things because your supervisor should help you or another colleague You will be fine x
Thankyou sm! xxx
mona_1762
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hi! i just wanted to ask about the difference between the process for returns and exchange, cos I think I might've got them mixed up and I just don't want to get into trouble lol
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
When I worked there you couldn't process voids at all without a supervisor keying in first. Then you select it matching the item kimble. It really is easy but the hectic atmosphere makes you feel rushed then you mess up. At least mine was well busy. This was ages ago though.

Last time I was at the tills, everything was straightforward. Void button says void. Return says return/exchange I believe.

I quit primark like literally walked off the floor and barged into P&C cos I hated the till set up having to ask supervisors to authorise everything like a numpty and it was either tills or fold shirts. I've worked in like six other retailers and it wasn't like Primark at all. I did meet mates and dates there though lol
Preets741
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by mona_1762)
Hi! i just wanted to ask about the difference between the process for returns and exchange, cos I think I might've got them mixed up and I just don't want to get into trouble lol
A return is separate and puts the money back onto their card and you do it alone, a exchange takes the money off their purchase eg if someone’s shopping comes to £40 but they’ve exchanged a £10 item they only pay £30! X and an exchange is done all at once it takes off the item they don’t want and then you can scan what they want x
Hope that makes sense
mona_1762
Rep:
?
Report 17 minutes ago
(Original post by Preets741)
A return is separate and puts the money back onto their card and you do it alone, a exchange takes the money off their purchase eg if someone’s shopping comes to £40 but they’ve exchanged a £10 item they only pay £30! X and an exchange is done all at once it takes off the item they don’t want and then you can scan what they want x
Hope that makes sense
Thank you so much!
Preets741
Rep:
?
Report 2 minutes ago
(Original post by mona_1762)
Thank you so much!
No worries! Good luck on the tills you’ll do amazing at it ❤️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (57)
40.14%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
16.9%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.23%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (15)
10.56%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (15)
10.56%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
8.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
9.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise