Why do people obsess over getting firsts when most companies just want a 2:1? Watch

This discussion is closed.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xyz94)
By the highest-earning professions; investment banking (finance in general), consultancy, law (magic circle firms, barristers' Chambers)....
There are several law recruiters on here that say that is not necessarily the case. The only thing for which I have seen it be consistently the case is IB.
xyz94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gjd800)
There are several law recruiters on here that say that is not necessarily the case. The only thing for which I have seen it be consistently the case is IB.
There may be exceptions, but I haven't heard of anyone getting into a Magic Circle or American law firm with a degree from an ex-poly (e.g. Liverpool met, Manchester met, Lincoln, etc etc).
LeaX
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just have to come back to this thread because just tonight I got a place on a master's course purely based on the fact that I got a first, no references, no interview, no work experience asked for, no personal statement written.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xyz94)
There may be exceptions, but I haven't heard of anyone getting into a Magic Circle or American law firm with a degree from an ex-poly (e.g. Liverpool met, Manchester met, Lincoln, etc etc).
Mm, you might be right. I'm not au fait with the details of staff alma maters, I suppose.

Not too surprising in one of these cases, though; 'Liverpool Met' does not exist!
dsmith23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Graduating with first class marks in each of the three years of my degree is a very personal goal of mine. I've failed and under achieved relative to my capability in every lower level of education so now I'm striving for excellence. One year down, two to go...
Gidimaster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
Do you honestly think someone with a 1st class degree wouldn’t have the upper hand advantage over someone with a 2:1 when applying for the exact same job? Aim to have everything better than the competition, your degree being one of those things.
No I don't think so
xyz94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mm, you might be right. I'm not au fait with the details of staff alma maters, I suppose.

Not too surprising in one of these cases, though; 'Liverpool Met' does not exist!
Well, it's called 'John Moores' now....Used to be called 'Liverpool Metropolitan', I think.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xyz94)
Well, it's called 'John Moores' now....Used to be called 'Liverpool Metropolitan', I think.
No, it was Liverpool Mechanics' School of Arts, and later Liverpool Polytechnic.

Liverpool Met is a cathedral :laugh:
xyz94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, it was Liverpool Mechanics' School of Arts, and later Liverpool Polytechnic.

Liverpool Met is a cathedral :laugh:
Haha, well I don't know the names of all the ex-Polys!
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xyz94)
Haha, well I don't know the names of all the ex-Polys!
To be fair, I only know because I'm a local :laugh:
xyz94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be fair, I only know because I'm a local :laugh:
Fair enough. Some of the ex-Polys have changed their names in recent years, in an attempt to distance themselves from the 'Poly' image, but it doesn't really work because everyone knows who they are!
marupe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LeaX)
I just have to come back to this thread because just tonight I got a place on a master's course purely based on the fact that I got a first, no references, no interview, no work experience asked for, no personal statement written.
Is it funded?
LeaX
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by marupe)
Is it funded?
No, my subject area is notorious for lack of funding for master's.
lawrenceweber
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by APersonYo)
Okay, but you will look terrible on your CV when you've done 0 volunteer work or societies and just spent all day studying.

Shows lack of interest and time management skills.
I've just graduated with a first and have loads of volunteer work.

You're showing a lack of ambition. If you can't be arsed putting the effort it then settle for your 2:1, but you sound like you'd be just as happy with a 2:2 so go for that?
Dinasaurus
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I want to be an academic and go into a research career, so I need the best grades to secure the best studentships and funding.
TheJammyFox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because this is TSR and people compare their grades like their comparing their penis size.

'look he has a first so hes got a massive penis.'
Shaw124
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just finished year 11 but the reason I can think of is personal satisfaction. We are all driven to get the best grades at school and I think it’s the same at university. With the amount of work that people put into uni they would want something to show for it. Basically, people want a first so they can be the best
HELLOME97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This makes me feel kind of ashamed because I'm struggling to even get a 2.1
As.1997
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a better grade
Dazza happy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by APersonYo)
Okay, but you will look terrible on your CV when you've done 0 volunteer work or societies and just spent all day studying.

Shows lack of interest and time management skills.
You can do both. Especially if you’re good at time management 😉
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%