Why do people obsess over getting firsts when most companies just want a 2:1? Watch

This discussion is closed.
BrianMcEgg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are on a website full of very ambitious students. Most people aim for a 2:1 in the real world
Shaw124
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BrianMcEgg)
You are on a website full of very ambitious students. Most people aim for a 2:1 in the real world
Exactly, there are people who are comfortable with the bare minimum and those that do everything to be better and frankly TSR is a collection of those great, high aiming students.
Dazza happy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cuz it’s not about the companies
bant_bus
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by iElvendork)
I'm not spending £9000 a year on fees to get a 2:1 when I'm completely capable of getting of a 1st
*laughs in american uni fees*
cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
Do you honestly think someone with a 1st class degree wouldn’t have the upper hand advantage over someone with a 2:1 when applying for the exact same job? Aim to have everything better than the competition, your degree being one of those things.
But unless you’re applying for a company that specifically asks for a 1st class degree, it doesn’t matter that much. It’s sort of like having an A* in GCSE maths when the company asks for a C grade minimum. Of course It’s nice to have done exceptionally well and you should be proud of that, but it doesn’t make that much of a difference in the real world.
username3959912
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I prioritise minimalism and the balance between study/work/life/health rather than getting a 1st. Mind you, if all the time you've spent to get a 1st you could have used to get tons of " relevant field experience" - which is what the employers are actually looking for. Then I don't think getting a 1st is actually worth it.
Luke5125
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by APersonYo)
above
Beacususe they are bug headed showoffs, likely high toooo
PrittyVacant
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dsmith23)
Graduating with first class marks in each of the three years of my degree is a very personal goal of mine. I've failed and under achieved relative to my capability in every lower level of education so now I'm striving for excellence. One year down, two to go...
This. I have returned to education as a mature student, after completely fluffing my GCSEs (originally predicted A*-A's) and achieving no-where near those due to heading down the proverbial "the wrong path". I then had no inclination to do A-levels either. So nearly 20 years after leaving compulsory/formal education I have returned, with the intention and motivation to do my best (which I am paying through the nose for - tuition fees and the loss of household income) - and my best so far has resulted in 1st average for year 1 and 2. I have also secured much needed extra funding in the form of progression bursaries from the university in the process - the difference between being able to afford childcare to keep attending or not.
Dinasaurus
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by SwagNam)
I prioritise minimalism and the balance between study/work/life/health rather than getting a 1st. Mind you, if all the time you've spent to get a 1st you could have used to get tons of " relevant field experience" - which is what the employers are actually looking for. Then I don't think getting a 1st is actually worth it.
Managed to do both, don't think it affected my health or anything.
username3959912
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Dinasaurus)
Managed to do both, don't think it affected my health or anything.
I mean a fitted body for health but if you can do the base then now make the stake higher to challenge yourself.
Dinasaurus
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by SwagNam)
I mean a fitted body for health but if you can do the base then now make the stake higher to challenge yourself.
True I guess, my body is a hell of a lot worse than it was before which is a shame. Guess it depends on your priorities though, good grades and experience are more key for my life right now.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by xyz94)
There may be exceptions, but I haven't heard of anyone getting into a Magic Circle or American law firm with a degree from an ex-poly (e.g. Liverpool met, Manchester met, Lincoln, etc etc).
There are certainly lawyers at MC firms from ex-polys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheTroll73
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
A first may make you more competitive

It's like applying to uni with an A*A*A* when they ask you for AAA
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Why stop yourself from achieveing more?
Its possible to have both a 1st and relavent work experience.
username3959912
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Dinasaurus)
True I guess, my body is a hell of a lot worse than it was before which is a shame. Guess it depends on your priorities though, good grades and experience are more key for my life right now.
Just try to do the cycle method. Study -> Work -> Health -> Fun and repeat the process everyday. Also, learn to reduce the amount of time on each aspect in order to increase the efficiency. A fun rule that I've learnt: If you allow yourself 8 hours to study in a day, you would take your study less seriously if you only let yourself 4 hours to study in a day.
CrimsonTyphoon
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by dsmith23)
Graduating with first class marks in each of the three years of my degree is a very personal goal of mine. I've failed and under achieved relative to my capability in every lower level of education so now I'm striving for excellence. One year down, two to go...
WOO! You can do it!

I had the same reasoning and achieved my first class this year!

All the best!
Goulash
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
For me it was about achieving the best grade I could. Why spend several years of your life doing something and settling for something less than your best?
The proudest day of my life was achieving a first class maths degree because I'd worked hard for it.
APersonYo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Goulash)
For me it was about achieving the best grade I could. Why spend several years of your life doing something and settling for something less than your best?
The proudest day of my life was achieving a first class maths degree because I'd worked hard for it.
Maths is really hard, I can see why you'd be proud of that.
APersonYo
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
There are several law recruiters on here that say that is not necessarily the case. The only thing for which I have seen it be consistently the case is IB.
I've visited several banks though, and they've never stated a first is preferred.
APersonYo
Rep:
?
(Original post by CrimsonTyphoon)
I got a First whilst juggling a weekend job, placement and internship in my final year. Why aim for 2:1 when you can aim for excellence? Everybody and their dog graduates with a 2:1, few people graduate with a first.

Mine was on principle. I came to do one job and I did it
I decided to stalk your posts and noticed you jumped from a 2:2 to a first.
Out of mild curiosity
1) How did you manage that?
2) How did it feel when you got a 2:2
3) What uni do you go to?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.77%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.47%
No I am happy with my course choice (454)
58.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.88%

Watched Threads