Why do people obsess over getting firsts when most companies just want a 2:1? Watch

This discussion is closed.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by APersonYo)
I've visited several banks though, and they've never stated a first is preferred.
Even better, then, I assume.
desou
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personal pride for one, but more to the point, who told you companies only look for a 2:1?

If I'm sorting through cvs, and we have 10 applications for 1 job, the people with 1sts are definitely more likely to get an interview.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We seek differentiation and distinction.
desou
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay, but you will look terrible on your CV when you've done 0 volunteer work or societies and just spent all day studying.

Shows lack of interest and time management skills.
You don't have to study all day to get a first though, this is a myth.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Cause a first is a lot better.
stabilo20619
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay, but you will look terrible on your CV when you've done 0 volunteer work or societies and just spent all day studying.

Shows lack of interest and time management skills.
I've asked around and heard that no one really cares about volunteering or societies (in STEM).

Relevant work experience on the other hand is pretty much essential, along with your 2:1 or 1st.
Last edited by stabilo20619; 1 month ago
Kaiix
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lol but don’t reply then
(Original post by username3832246)
Aim high and the lowest you can fall is on your target.
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are right, a 2,1 was what was on my job offer but if I can why wouldn't I go for a 1st.
WarwickMaths281
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
2:1 + Internships + Work experience + Extra curriculars + social skills >> 1st + nothing else.
rcmotorboy
Badges: 5
Report 1 month ago
I've always thought about this. When I was studying and I got feedback, some modules I did get a 2:1 yet, it didn't stop my lecturers hinting how to get the first and I think how what is taught is applied and taught to other people. My lecturer told me to share whatever I was working on which got me a 2:1 over the first, so it was just a fun way of telling me how to get the first. I think if whatever has been studied, examined and taught can be shared among other people very quickly and that would helps get me the first but it is possible not to get along with everyone, so maybe this is why I believe company rely on the 2:1's over 1st, because is seem critical or a high exception to hire people who just have 1st.
desou
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WarwickMaths281)
2:1 + Internships + Work experience + Extra curriculars + social skills >> 1st + nothing else.
What a bizarre comparison
Zhar_Ptitsa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A 1st as opposed to a 2:1 won't really give you any real advantage when it comes to job interviews; an interviewer will focus on your personality and previous experience. You don't need a 1st to enter into post graduate education. Again, interviewers take a range of factors into account when deciding whether to give you a place or not.I would say that it's good to aim for a 1st, but at the end of the day it's not worth working yourself so hard that it negatively impacts on you.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zhar_Ptitsa)
A 1st as opposed to a 2:1 won't really give you any real advantage when it comes to job interviews; an interviewer will focus on your personality and previous experience. You don't need a 1st to enter into post graduate education. Again, interviewers take a range of factors into account when deciding whether to give you a place or not.I would say that it's good to aim for a 1st, but at the end of the day it's not worth working yourself so hard that it negatively impacts on you.
Research council funding for doctorates in the humanities is pretty much off the table without a first
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%