The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cause a first is a lot better.
Original post by APersonYo
Okay, but you will look terrible on your CV when you've done 0 volunteer work or societies and just spent all day studying.

Shows lack of interest and time management skills.

I've asked around and heard that no one really cares about volunteering or societies (in STEM).

Relevant work experience on the other hand is pretty much essential, along with your 2:1 or 1st.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 102
Lol but don’t reply then
Original post by username3832246
Aim high and the lowest you can fall is on your target.
You are right, a 2,1 was what was on my job offer but if I can why wouldn't I go for a 1st.
2:1 + Internships + Work experience + Extra curriculars + social skills >> 1st + nothing else.
I've always thought about this. When I was studying and I got feedback, some modules I did get a 2:1 yet, it didn't stop my lecturers hinting how to get the first and I think how what is taught is applied and taught to other people. My lecturer told me to share whatever I was working on which got me a 2:1 over the first, so it was just a fun way of telling me how to get the first. I think if whatever has been studied, examined and taught can be shared among other people very quickly and that would helps get me the first but it is possible not to get along with everyone, so maybe this is why I believe company rely on the 2:1's over 1st, because is seem critical or a high exception to hire people who just have 1st.
Reply 106
Original post by WarwickMaths281
2:1 + Internships + Work experience + Extra curriculars + social skills >> 1st + nothing else.

What a bizarre comparison
A 1st as opposed to a 2:1 won't really give you any real advantage when it comes to job interviews; an interviewer will focus on your personality and previous experience. You don't need a 1st to enter into post graduate education. Again, interviewers take a range of factors into account when deciding whether to give you a place or not.I would say that it's good to aim for a 1st, but at the end of the day it's not worth working yourself so hard that it negatively impacts on you.
Original post by Zhar_Ptitsa
A 1st as opposed to a 2:1 won't really give you any real advantage when it comes to job interviews; an interviewer will focus on your personality and previous experience. You don't need a 1st to enter into post graduate education. Again, interviewers take a range of factors into account when deciding whether to give you a place or not.I would say that it's good to aim for a 1st, but at the end of the day it's not worth working yourself so hard that it negatively impacts on you.

Research council funding for doctorates in the humanities is pretty much off the table without a first

Latest