The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

School Uniform vs No School Uniform

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Paigee_Whytee
School uniform is one of the main issues in school. But it's much easier to pick out the school if your in a crowd of people.. But on the other hand students have to wear it in what ever way the school tells you to and could make you uncomfortable..

you just bumped a thread from 2008!
Reply 41
The good thing about school uniforms is that it nips in the bud once and for all the question of what is and isn't acceptable clothing for school. In the US kids have actually sued schools for being told they can't wear this or that T shirt on the grounds that it denies them their First Ammendment Rights. :rolleyes:

Also of course, uniform is a great equalizer. The distinctions between rich and poor are less marked when everybody is wearing the same thing.
Reply 42
I'm pretty indifferent with this, I had to wear a school uniform and had no problem doing so as I thought I suited it quite well but on the other hand, I wouldn't mind wearing my regular gear.

But yes, in some cases I think it could stop bullying and stuff and for that alone, I think it's a good enough reason to have to wear it.
What is the point of having school uniform?

Students don't always like wearing it and if they wear it incorrectly then are given detentions - I don't see many positives at all.

In the US there are no uniforms and there is no major difference between us and them....also its one less thing for the teachers to worry about and because the students are allowed to wear what they want (within reason) then its better for there confidence.

Discuss......

There are various good reasons for having school uniform. First of all it creates an atmosphere of less of the self centred individuality, and gives children a very much felt criterion of membership (something majority lacking in today's society) and imbues them with a sense of belonging to a school, and gives the school a highly visible identity. And gives them a sense of authority as well as membership which will no doubt aid them in later life. Not only that but wearing a uniform children now matter how subtlety helps children understand that they represent the school when they wear it.

Another argument is of course that wearing a uniform helps create the distinction between home and school life. And in that sense prepares them for that distinction in later life between home and work.
School uniform is good in schools because it represents what school you come from, but in college you can wear anything just as long it's sensible and good.

Latest

Trending

Trending