Converting from Christianity to Buddhism... help!!

Watch
citric carrot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone (first time posting so please bear with me),

Not quite sure how to phrase this but I am really starting to despise Christianity. My father is a pastor and he and my mother have dedicated their life to faith. To be fair, they are not really overbearing in the way that I hear some people are, but their moral rules have controlled my life and caused me misery and heartbreak.

Many aspects of my life seem to be against Christianity, namely my homosexuality, yet up until last year, I defended it completely. Now, I hate so many teachings and the hypocrisy of the Church community. After studying it and doing an early GCSE in Buddhism, I really find comfort in the Buddha's teachings. I have tried for a while to find a religion that suits me and I agree with, and I feel like Buddhism speaks to me more than any other.

I already know a fair amount of theoretical stuff, teachings and guidelines etc, but I would really like to put these into practice and join a temple or community. I meditate privately, and bought some more books on the subject (although hidden from my parents).

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm so pleased that I've finally found a faith that makes me happy, but I'm not sure how/if/when I should let my parents know that I want nothing more to do with the church services they drag me to (obviously said respectfully).

Thanks so much x
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Its great you've found a religion that provides you with comfort and happiness.

Are you based in England?
Two famous Buddhist temples are the Kadampa Temple in Cumbria and London Fo Guang Shan Temple in Oxford Street.
Both very welcoming to Buddhist and non Buddhist visitors alike.

My mother came from an ultra-traditionalist catholic family who made her childhood a misery then beat her unconscious when she told them she was going to marry my father, an atheist.
My maternal grandmother is an 80 year old religious fanatic who rants nonsense, hates the modern world and curses almost everyone alive.

It's so sad that so many fundamentalists abuse organised religion as a weapon to use against people to tyrannize, perpetuate bigotry or justify medieval violence.
Like criminals, the fanatics are small in number yet so loud, horrid and destructive that they give religion such a toxic reputation.

(Original post by citric carrot)
Hello everyone (first time posting so please bear with me),

Not quite sure how to phrase this but I am really starting to despise Christianity. My father is a pastor and he and my mother have dedicated their life to faith. To be fair, they are not really overbearing in the way that I hear some people are, but their moral rules have controlled my life and caused me misery and heartbreak.

Many aspects of my life seem to be against Christianity, namely my homosexuality, yet up until last year, I defended it completely. Now, I hate so many teachings and the hypocrisy of the Church community. After studying it and doing an early GCSE in Buddhism, I really find comfort in the Buddha's teachings. I have tried for a while to find a religion that suits me and I agree with, and I feel like Buddhism speaks to me more than any other.

I already know a fair amount of theoretical stuff, teachings and guidelines etc, but I would really like to put these into practice and join a temple or community. I meditate privately, and bought some more books on the subject (although hidden from my parents).

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm so pleased that I've finally found a faith that makes me happy, but I'm not sure how/if/when I should let my parents know that I want nothing more to do with the church services they drag me to (obviously said respectfully).

Thanks so much x
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
don't convert thats a dumb move.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
don't convert thats a dumb move.
Sorry man. Freedom of religion.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sorry man. Freedom of religion.
sym.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (55)
17.13%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.35%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.43%

Watched Threads