Places to apply that don't require experience?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've been applying for jobs left and right since college is over and I'm not moving for uni. I've had a few interviews at chains like weatherspoons, new look, debenhams. I've had the same feedback from every one - not enough experience/they went with a candidate with more experience.
I have experience volunteering - my local theatre and a therapists office - which gave me experience in hospitality, secretarial work, and a bit of customer service.
Does anyone know either A) places that might overlook my lack of experience or B) places that the experience I *do* have might help?
Thanks in advance
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you tailoring your CVs/ Cover letters to each job's requirements? And have you had your general cvs/ cover letters checked by anyone?

If so, it's basically just bad luck and a numbers game. And Id actually suggest applying for smaller companies as well, as they may well be less competition. Especially if they don't have online recruitment. I applied for several hundred jobs before I finally got one.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've been applying for jobs left and right since college is over and I'm not moving for uni. I've had a few interviews at chains like weatherspoons, new look, debenhams. I've had the same feedback from every one - not enough experience/they went with a candidate with more experience.
I have experience volunteering - my local theatre and a therapists office - which gave me experience in hospitality, secretarial work, and a bit of customer service.
Does anyone know either A) places that might overlook my lack of experience or B) places that the experience I *do* have might help?
Thanks in advance
Retail jobs in companies such as Clarks and Next, and restaurant jobs such as McDonalds, Subway do not require experience. What you should worry about more is selling yourself and explaining the skills you currently have, and had developed from your previous work experience. Also explains how will it help for the roles you're applying.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you asked your friends or family if they know of any vacancies at their workplace? Sometimes this can work in your favour (depending on the job role) as it can bypass the "experience needed" stage. I used to work in a restaurant where the manager would hire college students, and then friends/family of the students.

Generally, looking at waitressing jobs is a good idea. If you have the right personality, employers are willing to hire and train you on the job. Other small jobs like cleaning and leaflet/paper deliveries don't require experience. Also, if you can drive, a lot of takeaways are looking for delivery drivers.

You do state that you have experience in an office environment, hospitality and customer service, which are all useful skills to have. If you promote these skills on your CV well, you are more likely to attract employers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (33)
32.35%
No - I have already returned home (10)
9.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
22.55%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
28.43%

Watched Threads