The Student Room Group

Mike's Grow your grades blog

Hi everyone!! I've decided to do a grow your grades blog. I know that the competiition is over, but I need a personal record of my journey I guess.

So, I started Y12 with not the best GCSE's (4A*'s, 6A's and a B). Yes I know for some people these grades are amazing, however for my school, and especially me, they are not outstanding. These grades were purely because I did not work hard enough and underestimated the importance of the GCSE's at the time. I mean this was awful of me and I guess I have to live with that regret for the next few years, so I naturally decided y12 will be completely different!!

Y12, I had a job, a good social life, thought I wanted to be a doctor but wasn't completely sure, and ready to take on A levels. what I haven't understood was that everyone else had learnt how to revise, the KNEW what revision methods worked best for them. I just decided that I would put everything on my plate and I would somehow have enough hours in the day to keep up with my own life. My job genuinely took too much of my time, and I just did not have enough time to maintain a social life and do m work. I made the decision to put my social life on hold, which was hard for me since I am very much an extrovert, and try to focus on my grades. Long story short, I got too stressed as I wasn't having an outlet that I needed, quit my job and my grades slowwwly picked up. this increase was not fast enough I guess and I hit a point where I immersed myself completely into my work and I guess it kind of paid off. I mean I did not do as well as I had hoped but I've done better than others.

My A levels I took were Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. I fluctuated throughout the year on what I wanted to do. I hated bio which was a shock, and I thought I would stay with Chemistry and drop Biology, however as we all know CHEMISTRY IS HARD and then I decided maybe I want to keep bio and drop chem. this thought process continued and went back and forth until I decided to just drop chemistry as I realised I DONT WANT TO BE A DOCTOR. it is just not fir me. i think I needde to talk to some students, junior doctors and so on t gain an idea, whrere I just realised that the life they lead is just not for me. I realised that my strong suit is economics by a long shot, I understood the concepts and I just loved the subject (still do).

So fast forward to after my endo of years, my maths result just did not go as planned but its fine, and the rest went well, leading to my report. I was roughly predicted A*AB. The B miffed me off a lot as I just deserved an A. I scored higher than the median in the end of year,, my trajectory of results was inceasing, so therefore my predicted grades should rise?! but apparently not. Im gunna talk to my teacher tomorrow and have a bit of a rage because i deserve the A, I mean Im getting A's in my topic tests, so why should i be predicted a B?

ANYWAY, thats me done for tonight, I hope that I can look back on these feelings happy because I'm not a happy bunny at this moment.

Quick Reply

Latest