Transferring brick uni credits to the OU - experiences?

Watch
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys.

I'm currently a MSc Pub health student at a brick uni. I have had a really rough year in my personal life which has included poor mental and physical health, family health problems, having to move around due to not having a home atm and having to start working night job during my full time study.

All this combined has made it very unlikely I will finish/ pass my msc degree. As I have 1 resit to complete in a few weeks and a dissertation to have done in a coupe of weeks (of which I still need to write 90% of it).

I had started to accept the fact that I have failed, as there are no options I can take with my uni to prevent this (I am not eligible for extenuating circumstances and it is too late in the academic year to apply to defer my studies until next semester).

However a friend told me it may be possible to transfer my credits and finish my masters with the OU in the future (though as they don't have a public health MSc course it will have to be a MSc "open" which is unfortunate.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice on this?
Snufkin
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SophieSmall)
Hey guys.

I'm currently a MSc Pub health student at a brick uni. I have had a really rough year in my personal life which has included poor mental and physical health, family health problems, having to move around due to not having a home atm and having to start working night job during my full time study.

All this combined has made it very unlikely I will finish/ pass my msc degree. As I have 1 resit to complete in a few weeks and a dissertation to have done in a coupe of weeks (of which I still need to write 90% of it).

I had started to accept the fact that I have failed, as there are no options I can take with my uni to prevent this (I am not eligible for extenuating circumstances and it is too late in the academic year to apply to defer my studies until next semester).

However a friend told me it may be possible to transfer my credits and finish my masters with the OU in the future (though as they don't have a public health MSc course it will have to be a MSc "open" which is unfortunate.

No experience, no - but have you contacted the OU's credit transfer team? They are well placed to offer advice. It may also be worth contacting other universities about transferring - you don't ask, you don't get - I believe LSHTM does a distance-learning MSc in Public Health. Worth looking into?
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
No experience, no - but have you contacted the OU's credit transfer team? They are well placed to offer advice. It may also be worth contacting other universities about transferring - you don't ask, you don't get - I believe LSHTM does a distance-learning MSc in Public Health. Worth looking into?
Aye I was more looking for people's experiences with the OU in general rather that the logistics of it, as I know it is possible to transfer the credits. So I don't really need OU advice/ guidance.

I had looked into that, but transferring credits to a brick uni would be more expensive (literally double the cost) and I am not eligible for any funding help
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you checked other DL courses at Universities? For example, Edinburgh appear to offer a MPH public health course. It might be worth checking if you haven’t already.
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muserock)
Have you checked other DL courses at Universities? For example, Edinburgh appear to offer a MPH public health course. It might be worth checking if you haven’t already.
It's more expensive at non OU unis and I am not eligible for anymore student finance funding.
Snufkin
Report 3 years ago
Aye I was more looking for people's experiences with the OU in general rather that the logistics of it, as I know it is possible to transfer the credits. So I don't really need OU advice/ guidance.

I had looked into that, but transferring credits to a brick uni would be more expensive (literally double the cost) and I am not eligible for any funding help. I don;t have 2k just lying around that I can feasibly use. :/
Oh I see, fair enough. I'm sure Persipan can give you some insight into what doing a master's degree at the OU is like.

Which modules were you thinking of doing, out of interest?
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
Oh I see, fair enough. I'm sure Persipan can give you some insight into what doing a master's degree at the OU is like.

Which modules were you thinking of doing, out of interest?
It would probably just be my dissertation module.
If I pass my re-sit exam in August, then the only credits I will not have achieved are my 60 dissertation credits.
Persipan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi! Sorry to hear you've been having such a tough time lately. I'm a current OU MA student - is there anything in particular you'd like to know? Broadly speaking I'd say you do have to rely on yourself quite a bit to study in this way, but for a dissertation that's the case anywhere, really.

Have you worked out what module you'd be signing up to in order to do this?
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
(Original post by Persipan)
Hi! Sorry to hear you've been having such a tough time lately. I'm a current OU MA student - is there anything in particular you'd like to know? Broadly speaking I'd say you do have to rely on yourself quite a bit to study in this way, but for a dissertation that's the case anywhere, really.

Have you worked out what module you'd be signing up to in order to do this?

I've not looked too much into the logistics of it, because it'll be a while away yet as I will have to completely self fund, and I only work part time currently and can't afford to at the moment.

Was mostly just looking for things like how supporting supervisors are, and if they actually help you. As I have had the opposite experience at my brick uni. Especially with my current dissertation supervisors, who rarely if ever answer emails, or answer questions properly or at all.
visacool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys.

Similar experience... I have been doing an MSc this year and hated a lot of it but finished the taught section (120 credits). I haven't started the dissertation as I was thinking of quitting but the University of Manchester have said I can have until May 2019 to complete it... I am sure you can get an extension, perhaps use medical reasoning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.07%
Excited but a bit nervous (131)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.41%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed