How important is work experience really?? Watch

Chalky2000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
So I’m going to be applying for uni this year and I don’t have relevant work experience for a natural sciences/biochem course. I have a job and also have done maths tutoring but does this have importance??
And should I be looking for other work experience (if so whattt?)??
Thanks
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chalky2000)
Hello,
So I’m going to be applying for uni this year and I don’t have relevant work experience for a natural sciences/biochem course. I have a job and also have done maths tutoring but does this have importance??
Thanks
I'd definitely recommend getting more work experience if you have time as it can help show your interest in the subject and differentiates you from other candidates. That being said, work experience isn't as important for science degrees compared to, say, medicine, and many people have successfully applied without any work experience or without experience related to their course. So your job and maths tutoring is still really useful.

Here are some ideas of places to apply for work experience:
- Hospital labs
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Pharmacies

Also, you could take part in some competitions such as:

- Corpus Christi Oxford Essay Competition
- Peterhouse Cambridge Essay Competition
- Murray Edwards College Cambridge Franklin Society Essay Competition

Good luck!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,
Thanks
As per your other thread, it's not needed or expected.

And Bath has an 88% offer rate for Biochemistry.
https://university.which.co.uk/unive...8-c257d569166b

If you have the expected grades you are almost certainly getting an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
typicalvirgo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I do biochem and work experience really helped me out getting an offer. I actually missed the grades by 1 UMS and I think my large amount of work experience made me stand out
Hello,
Thanks
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,
Thanks
It definitely helps. Honestly, when you get onto a course, its more important for you to get it then (e.g. lab work).
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,
Thanks
Hey!

It is always good to be thinking about work experience, as it can help to narrow down an area of e.g. natural sciences that you are most interested in as well as rule out certain jobs. However, I would try not to worry if you do not have extensive work experience in the subject area you want to apply for, as it can be just as good to talk about transferable skills that you have gained working as a maths tutor. For example, it may have helped you to develop good timekeeping, reliability, attention to detail, logical etc., all of which you could relate to an area of your chosen degree.

Before university, I only had shopwork exprience, but I thought about what this taught me that was relevant to Management and wrote about this in my personal statement. During our placement talks, we were always encouraged to talk about our transferable skills that we learned from jobs that are maybe not exactly relevant to the industry or subject as you can often tailor this experience to the job description.

Universities and employers understand that not everyone has lots of experience at this age, and you will have plenty of opporunities to get involved in all sorts of things at univerisity. For example, you could show your interest in science by joining 'people and planet' society at Bath.

Its great to already be thinking about work experience, I'm sure this mindset will help you in your degree and future job!

If you have anymore questions, just quote me

Alice,
3rd Year Management Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 5 February 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 1 April 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 1 Apr '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 10 June 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 10 Jun '20

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (33)
18.23%
Unconditional if firmed (14)
7.73%
Unconditional if insurance (1)
0.55%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (3)
1.66%
No unconditional offers (130)
71.82%

Watched Threads