The Student Room Group

Thinking of removing my hijab

I decided to wear the hijab 5 years ago without being forced into it or anything. To be completely honest I did it for God and I thought that I was making the right decision. I completely respect those who wear it but I have never felt that it is a part of me maybe because I dislike it. Now, I am contemplating removing it and no I am not afraid of my family as they are not that religious. What is stopping me from removing it is the community, i am afraid of what they’ll say about how my family have raised me etc. Removing the hijab won’t make me love God any less. I am content with my religion. I don’t see how not wearing the hijab will change much.

Please guys I need some serious advice not people telling me to leave my religion.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You got to understand that there isn’t a compulsion in religion which is mentioned in the Quran. If you feel that you want to take it off you may do so but should think of the consequences of the hereafter first, and then make an appropriate decision
You shouldn’t be forced to wear by the community or anyone. The religion doesn’t make the hijab compulsory. That belongs to culture. Don’t feel pressured. The choice is up to you not them.
walahe. allah will not be pleased.
What do you dislike about it?
If you're comfortable in your decision you should do it. What you think and feel comes before the opinion of others.
I want to take mine off too. Don't know how.
Original post by Anonymous
What is stopping me from removing it is the community, i am afraid of what they’ll say about how my family have raised me etc. Removing the hijab won’t make me love God any less. I am content with my religion. I don’t see how not wearing the hijab will change much.

Your 'community' doesn't sound very nice. Wear what you want, and ignore them. You may also like to think about why they behave as they do.
(edited 5 years ago)
F*ck the community. I know what you mean those South Asian aunties never shut their mouths they always have to gossip about everything because they have nothing better to do. Ignore them, do what makes you happy because no matter what you choose people will always find something to gossip about.
Reply 9
Original post by Unknown-99
F*ck the community. I know what you mean those South Asian aunties never shut their mouths they always have to gossip about everything because they have nothing better to do. Ignore them, do what makes you happy because no matter what you choose people will always find something to gossip about.

Let the community gossip. It's only their own sins they are building up by doing so. The Prophet pbuh was ostracized by the community he lived in. He didn't change his ways for them.

Besides, if this "community" you live in knew what their supposedly "innocent" hijabi girls were secretly up to then clothes would never be an issue. I know plenty of non hijab wearing girls who are way more religious in how they act than many hijabis.

God will judge you on actions more than anything else.
Remove it. The community may gossip for a while, but eventually they’ll get bored of it, especially if they see that you’re the same person and that your behaviours haven’t changed.
I decided to wear the hijab 5 years ago without being forced into it or anything. To be completely honest I did it for God .

Your thinking was flawed from the outset I'm afraid. What did you think you were doing for God? Showing obedience? Respect? Servitude?

Understand that if God exists, then he surely knows your heart and your every waking thought. He already knows whether you are sincere, whether you are respectful and the extent of your faith. Thinking that you need to wear any kind of head covering to prove this is an insult to his omnipotence, he knows already everything about you.

This situation occurs in many faiths. There are branches of modern Christianity where the females wear head scarves and they pressure all the church female members to conform saying it shows subservience and respect for God and for their husbands. It's a complete nonsense and nothing short of brainwashing and social conditioning for the same reasons I have given above. God knows their hearts so no head covering is needed. Equally, if they need to wear a head scarf to show respect and obedience to their husbands then there is something seriously wrong with their relationships because the husband should already know the heart of his wife and trust in her respect.

Personally I would like to see these kind of peer pressure social conditioning devices removed from all religions. They are imho totally false and an insult to God/Allah who most assuredly knows all your thoughts intimately.
As a Muslim I would say do not wear if you are being forced into wearing it as this is not right. If the community is forcing you to wear it this is wrong. Indeed, intentions matter and hijab is an important aspect for us Muslims but there are limits.
Reply 13
..... but I have never felt that it is a part of me maybe because I dislike it.

Why don't you have some answers ready for those who night say something to you about it.
Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the Free.
Reply 15
Original post by ada_786
You got to understand that there isn’t a compulsion in religion

but should think of the consequences of the hereafter first,

Like the threat of torture in hellfire?

Yeah, no compulsion in religion...
Original post by Ascend

Like the threat of torture in hellfire?

Yeah, no compulsion in religion...

it's not a threat, it is a reasonable punishment, how can you deny our creator? the disrespect.
Original post by hm98
it's not a threat, it is a reasonable punishment, how can you deny our creator? the disrespect.

But Hijabs aren’t compulsory tho.
I decided to wear the hijab 5 years ago without being forced into it or anything. To be completely honest I did it for God and I thought that I was making the right decision. I completely respect those who wear it but I have never felt that it is a part of me maybe because I dislike it. Now, I am contemplating removing it and no I am not afraid of my family as they are not that religious. What is stopping me from removing it is the community, i am afraid of what they’ll say about how my family have raised me etc. Removing the hijab won’t make me love God any less. I am content with my religion. I don’t see how not wearing the hijab will change much.

Please guys I need some serious advice not people telling me to leave my religion.

Just go for it. There isn't any compulsion.
Original post by hm98

Of course it's a threat, "if you don't do this you'll be punished". How twisted and deluded do you have to be to think that an eternity burning in unimaginable pain is a reasonable punishment for not wearing a cloth on your head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending