How to convince someone I genuinely regret my actions when I responded badly Watch

Bito Wladon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
During the initial fight I panicked and tried to cover up my actions, lied, ran, and maybe worst of all stopped contacting the person because I thought they'd want to be rid of me.
I genuinely do regret my actions and realise that how I responded might not show that. I want to change to become a better person.
I don't know if I should let the person know that I want to change, or if I even should. They're a very angry person and don't forgive easily. Does anyone have advice?
thunderstormfire
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
In my opinion it's always best to say everything you want to say. Whether the person accepts it or not, you can walk away from that situation knowing you tried your absolute hardest and there was nothing more you could do. More for your own conscience and peace of mind, I recommend apologising and having a conversation.
username2400323
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sometimes you need to let things go and do not have to try your best to solve something that simply cannot be solved.
canadaman815
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sorry to hear that things ended badly. It's very hard to control one's emotions in a fight, and you're definitely not alone in that. It may not be so easy to resolve, but if you are sorry for what you did and want the offended party to know that, I definitely would make an effort to explain yourself. You may not know for sure that your attempt will go over well, but it's good to get in the habit of apologizing and attempting to correct your bad habits, lest you become comfortable with them. Most people take a little time to forgive, but it definitely helps if the hurt person has a rational explanation for what happened.

If you care about the person and want your relationship restored, I think the best thing to do is show them in some way that you're working on improving yourself. Do you have any plan set forth for resolving this long term, or making sure it won't keep happening? Is it possible you could talk to a counselor or pastor about this, and try to set better habits? It often helps me when I have an accountability partner or something of the sort. Hoping for the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (59)
22.1%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (91)
34.08%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (57)
21.35%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (25)
9.36%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (35)
13.11%

Watched Threads