The Student Room Group

What did you fail the driving test on? Sale anyone?

Third test tomorrow. Has anyone done Sale?
Original post by Jesse Lingard
Third test tomorrow. Has anyone done Sale?

I don't know what Sale is? But I failed my first driving test. I got three minors but one major. I was on a road I'd never been on before and we came up to a roundabout, the satnav said straight ahead, second exit, so as I went on to the roundabout I was counting the exits, and I didn't realise that one of the little roads off the roundabout was actually an exit (I thought it was just a bit of mud or something because it was like a dirt track) so I missed my exit, I signalled left at the second exit thinking it was the first and I was about to come off but the the examiner told me I'd missed it. I decided I'd go all the way round the roundabout to then come off at the correct exit. As I got to my exit, I went to change my indicator from right to left to say I was coming off, but realised that I'd never actually changed my indicator to be signalling right to go all the way round the roundabout, so I'd gone all the way round the roundabout signalling left. I realised in that moment as I was coming off the roundabout and straight away told the examiner I knew I'd done it wrong and I said what I know I should have done, but obviously they can only judge on what you have done, so unfortunately I failed that time.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Carly2289
I don't know what Sale is? But I failed my first driving test. I got three minors but one major. I was on a road I'd never been on before and we came up to a roundabout, the satnav said straight ahead, second exit, so as I went on to the roundabout I was counting the exits, and I didn't realise that one of the little roads off the roundabout was actually an exit (I thought it was just a bit of mud or something because it was like a dirt track) so I missed my exit, I signalled left at the second exit thinking it was the first and I was about to come off but the the examiner told me I'd missed it. I decided I'd go all the way round the roundabout to then come off at the correct exit. As I got to my exit, I went to change my indicator from right to left to say I was coming off, but realised that I'd never actually changed my indicator to be signalling right to go all the way round the roundabout, so I'd gone all the way round the roundabout signalling left. I realised in that moment as I was coming off the roundabout and straight away told the examiner I knew I'd done it wrong and I said what I know I should have done, but obviously they can only judge on what you have done, so unfortunately I failed that time.

Good luck!

you must have taken the exit which you considered and followed the satnav to reroute. That gives a chance to examiner to award a minor and get away with things if rest of the driving is satisfactory. I am not keen on taking a full round at the round about for a missed exit. Rather take a nearest exit and reverse in quiet side road and rejoin the route. Or keep carrying with alternate route.

Taking a test without having full hand information of all the rounabouts in your test routes is a mistake. use google maps to study the roundaboutas and lane markings and approach markings. I have used satellite view of google maps to completely sturdy the roundabouta,miniroundabouts in my test area. That gives a confidence, Dont memorise routes. familiarise the locality, get used to the orientation.
Original post by SATHISHJ
you must have taken the exit which you considered and followed the satnav to reroute. That gives a chance to examiner to award a minor and get away with things if rest of the driving is satisfactory. I am not keen on taking a full round at the round about for a missed exit. Rather take a nearest exit and reverse in quiet side road and rejoin the route. Or keep carrying with alternate route.

Taking a test without having full hand information of all the rounabouts in your test routes is a mistake. use google maps to study the roundaboutas and lane markings and approach markings. I have used satellite view of google maps to completely sturdy the roundabouta,miniroundabouts in my test area. That gives a confidence, Dont memorise routes. familiarise the locality, get used to the orientation.

I would have taken a different exit but by the time I’d realised I’d missed it, my next exit was the original one because it was a small roundabout. Also I knew the area very well, I just got confused by the satnav for some reason, probably test nerves. I passed the next test, two weeks later, with only two minors
Reply 4
Original post by Carly2289
I would have taken a different exit but by the time I’d realised I’d missed it, my next exit was the original one because it was a small roundabout. Also I knew the area very well, I just got confused by the satnav for some reason, probably test nerves. I passed the next test, two weeks later, with only two minors

Test SATNAVs are a bit forward. I observed it during my test on 17-Jul-2018. I have practices with my own TOMTOM Start 52 and it would be precise to the location. But the test satnav was 100 yards ahead of my position. Probably something calibrated that way to allow pupil to think not to miss the turning or junction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending