The Student Room Group

Does Durham discriminate against Oxbridge applicants?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm looking at applying to both Durham and Cambridge for 2019, and I've heard from quite a few people in older years that Durham has a tendency to reject you if you're also applying to Oxbridge. Apparently they look to see how early you put in your UCAS application (obviously much earlier if you're trying for Oxbridge), and base it off that?

I have no idea if this is true or not (I do know a few people who've got into both, plus Durham has a reputation for taking Oxbridge rejects), but if it is, I really love Durham and don't want to apply for Cambridge on a whim if it's going to jeopardise my chances of getting in. Chances are I won't get into Cambridge, anyway!

Does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks:smile:
Original post by nieveg
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm looking at applying to both Durham and Cambridge for 2019, and I've heard from quite a few people in older years that Durham has a tendency to reject you if you're also applying to Oxbridge. Apparently they look to see how early you put in your UCAS application (obviously much earlier if you're trying for Oxbridge), and base it off that?

I have no idea if this is true or not (I do know a few people who've got into both, plus Durham has a reputation for taking Oxbridge rejects), but if it is, I really love Durham and don't want to apply for Cambridge on a whim if it's going to jeopardise my chances of getting in. Chances are I won't get into Cambridge, anyway!

I don't know if it's true or not (I suspect not), but you don't have to add your UCAS choices all at once.

If you don't want Durham to know you've applied to Cambridge, then just add Durham as a choice after October 15th. Problem solved :h:
Original post by nieveg

It's completely untrue. Utter *******s. Ridiculous and illogical.
Reply 3
Original post by nieveg

It is untrue because UCAS doesn't tell any uni what your other options are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending