PhD student accommodation help at Leicester

Watch
RosieT96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm starting a PhD at the University of Leicester in September (did my undergrad at Sheffield) and I'm finding it difficult to sort accommodation out that's not with undergraduates or professionals. I know that the University have postgrad accommodation but after speaking to PhD students at other Unis, they've said that these halls primarily house Masters students, which meant the friends they lived with all left after a year Does anyone know if UoL try to group PhD / Masters etc students together? Or whether a lot of PhD students do choose to go into halls at all?

Alternatively, for private accommodation, I've been looking on SpareRoom/ UoL accommodation facebook groups, but there's not much. Any tips/ help? If you're doing a PhD at UoL, what did you do for accommodation in your first year?

Cheers!
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
F1Z$3Y
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry I can't help with the postgrad hall questions. From what I've seen, most of the PhD students tend to go for private accommodation. I would suggest looking up places to rent in Clarendon park as that seems quite popular. It's a short walk to the uni.
University of Leicester
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RosieT96)
Hi,

I'm starting a PhD at the University of Leicester in September (did my undergrad at Sheffield) and I'm finding it difficult to sort accommodation out that's not with undergraduates or professionals. I know that the University have postgrad accommodation but after speaking to PhD students at other Unis, they've said that these halls primarily house Masters students, which meant the friends they lived with all left after a year Does anyone know if UoL try to group PhD / Masters etc students together? Or whether a lot of PhD students do choose to go into halls at all?

Alternatively, for private accommodation, I've been looking on SpareRoom/ UoL accommodation facebook groups, but there's not much. Any tips/ help? If you're doing a PhD at UoL, what did you do for accommodation in your first year?

Cheers!
Hello,

The University of Leicester offers postgraduate students rooms in our City Living accommodation. Postgraduate students are placed in either a flat/floor or in a block with other postgraduate students. In addition, you're guaranteed an offer of University-managed accommodation as long as you apply by 1st September 2018. For more information or to apply for accommodation, visit https://rooms.le.ac.uk.

For more private accommodation options, check SULETS or RightMove.

- Tobi, Future Students Office Ambassador
ele_maher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello!

I'm not a postgrad myself but I do have a room in a 2 bed flat going if you're interested. The other tenant is an undergrad but a final year student, and the flat is out of the way of the main student area (ie city living) so it's a lot quieter there! There's free parking too.

I understand if you're not interested but thought it worth mentioning just in case. Good luck finding somewhere to stay!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (338)
83.66%
No (66)
16.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise