This discussion is closed.
mizmo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I really want to go to UCLAN however im not doubting it much so as people said its not seen as a decent university and therefore I would not get a decent job if I went. I am considering studying Law here so if any students could comment and let me know their opinions.

Do they regreat it?
Would they choose a different uni?

Any comments is welcomed.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ok, well I'm not doing law, so can't give you any specifics with regards to that course, but hopefully someone who can will come along.

Either way, I'll provide you with the same spiel I provide a lot of people with both on this site and off, and then you can choose to either consider it or completely ignore my opinion. :p:

I don't know how things work with law, but in general, UCLan is a great choice of uni. Friendly people, a large but compact campus with excellent facilities, plenty of opportunities to develop outside your course, and generally very high teaching standards/quality from lecturers with experience and enthusiasm for their subjects. You'll get the same from a lot of the students.
UCLan isn't high on the league tables yet, but it is racing up them. The fact is, it's an ex-poly and hasn't yet had time to compete properly and to prove itself; it's just beginning now what is a huge growth that it's been working towards since taking on university status, and the last few years have meant big things for UCLan, including the introduction of so many new facilities (though I don't know how many of those apply to Law yet), and massive changes in the Students' Union and the way the university as a whole is run.
Of course, being a new university, it's going to get a lot of negative opinion, and it does depend how much you care about that, and what reputation means to you personally, and to your career; but reputation aside, UCLan's an excellent university.
Similarly, I don't know how life-changing the degree in Law is, but my opinion is that you as a person, and your own experiences and personality, are more important than the piece of paper at the end of the course.
If you've not visited already, I'd really recommend it. I don't know one person who's been here and not felt the 'right' atmosphere on their visit; and it'll give you a chance to speak to current students/lecturers as well.
Let me know if you've got any questions/concerns though.
Vision
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A degrees a degree no matter where you get it from. It's just a ridiculous snobby attitude that loads of people get into. If you think you would be happy at UCLan then you go ahead and go.
mizmo
Rep:
?
Thing is Ive been 4 times yes 4 times! Everything felt right everythoing was great it was like a campus yet in a city and its not too far from home not too close. Got all the facilities and the law department did seem good. An it was the first uni I had ever visted in my first year of college and I thought NO this is the uni im defintly going to.

I think though with the threads on this forum some of them let the uni rep down however I do think it is a good uni just that snobby attitude something which dosnt bother me and hasnt before is now creating alittle voice in my head.

I have a question actually.

I want to do Law at uni however there is a vocational course I also saw and wouldnt mind doing. Its called business enterprise. Is there anyway of doing both without combining the course. Like doing the business enterprise part time ect?
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mizmo)
Thing is Ive been 4 times yes 4 times! Everything felt right everythoing was great it was like a campus yet in a city and its not too far from home not too close. Got all the facilities and the law department did seem good. An it was the first uni I had ever visted in my first year of college and I thought NO this is the uni im defintly going to.

I think though with the threads on this forum some of them let the uni rep down however I do think it is a good uni just that snobby attitude something which dosnt bother me and hasnt before is now creating alittle voice in my head.

I have a question actually.

I want to do Law at uni however there is a vocational course I also saw and wouldnt mind doing. Its called business enterprise. Is there anyway of doing both without combining the course. Like doing the business enterprise part time ect?
It's completely understandable, but what you have to remember is that too many people on TSR are completely obsessed with grades and reputation to the point where most of them are going to end up hating their degree, or their uni etc. You have to do what's going to make YOU happy, it's your life; and it's the person you are and the things you learn that'll get you somewhere, not the name on the degree.

As for the business enterprise thing, UCLan offers those as part of CETH (Centre of Employment for the Humanities), so they can either be taken as an extra course for a certificate (you can take any extra courses free as a student), or as an elective module (most courses have at least one elective which allows you to study something outside of your course as part of your degree, without affecting what your overall degree is).
mizmo
Rep:
?
wow thats realy intreasting as I want a law degree but think I want to go into buisness now in the end or wokr for one atleast.

Thats really encouraging so what is studying at uclan like from ure experiance
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mizmo)
wow thats realy intreasting as I want a law degree but think I want to go into buisness now in the end or wokr for one atleast.

Thats really encouraging so what is studying at uclan like from ure experiance
For me, absolutely amazing. As you can probably tell from my signature, I'm involved in a hell of a lot around the uni, so I think this just makes the experience even better for me. I know a lot of people, students and staff, and have some kind of inner knowledge of the uni, which has made my time here great. There're plenty of things to get involved in, and that's a big factor for me.
Obviously though, those things would mean very little without my course; which is why I'm lucky that my course is taught with amazing facilities, enthusiastic staff with years of experience, and the ability for us to work as though we're out there in the industry, rather than students. I think one of the things that I really like about UCLan is that it works both ways; students get just as much input into everything as staff do, and it's very much everyone on the same level, but with high levels of support and knowledge there if you need them.
Very little is spoon-fed on my course; we get the basics and then it's all about our own experimentation, and I'd say that's probably the same for most courses around the uni.
I have three weeks left of my second year once I go back at the start of April, and then only one year left, and I REALLY don't want to leave because I'm so involved with this place.
I probably do sound really biased and over-enthusiastic, but I think it's hard not to be once you're here. :p:
Oddjob39A
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its a waste of time, a crap ex-poly and not really a university.

Save your money and don't bother with it, you won't even recieve a real tertiary education.

If you don't go to Oxbridge or at least London then you are just wasting your own and everyone elses time.

See how ridiculous all that sounds? 'Reputation' is simply a by-word for the opinions of snobs and idiots, it means = piss all.
mizmo
Rep:
?
lol thats good I would really like to get invovled in all sort of things and be more active I was in high school a forum rep, peer mentor, tutor ect But when it got to college I didnt bother as much which was a shame.

Also whats the gym like and is it worthing paying for membership?
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mizmo)
lol thats good I would really like to get invovled in all sort of things and be more active I was in high school a forum rep, peer mentor, tutor ect But when it got to college I didnt bother as much which was a shame.

Also whats the gym like and is it worthing paying for membership?
I'm lazy, and I haven't even set foot in the gym. :p:
My flatmate goes a lot though, as well as a number of other friends, and from what I've heard, it's a decent enough place (though people complain there're no free-weights, that's the only complaint I've heard about it).
It also does a number of classes (martial arts, yoga, aerobics etc); something I keep telling myself I'll make the effort to go to at some point, but never get around to doing... :p:
Oddjob39A
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kevster)
piss all for the people who are not good enough to attain places there.you are so insecure its scary.
You are mistaking 'insecure' for 'rational'

How can the reputation of bricks and mortar possibly ever have an effect on anyone's choice to study and their ability to do well?

I think your insecurity is exemplified by the fact that you feel the need to talk unfavourably about a collection of bricks and mortar i.e. a 'university' How can a building possibly have an objective, unchanging reputation? Can you not see how innanely asinine that view is? 'Reputation' is built on the opinions of people who have studied at other universities, how is that a reliable benchmark?

Have you noticed that universities with the 'best reputations' are those predominantely in the south of england? Surrounded by the richest and most influential socio-economic groups? Now, don't for a minute think that I am attacking 'rich southerners' I am merely stating that 'reputation' is merely a synonym for 'middle class reputation' The less middle class intake a university has, the less 'reputation' it has.

Warwick Uni is younger than most ex-polys yet has a higher 'reputation' and considered a good replacement for Oxbridge. How can such a huge increase of 'reputation' take place in such a short time? Do you think it has anything to do with its huge middle class intake compared to another ex-poly like, um, Uclan?

And I am not directly attacking Warwick or being 'insecure' - I intend to take my MA. there purely because it is the only institution that offers what I want.

p.s. And I got accepted to study Classics (the most snobby subject you could ever find) at Edinburgh, Newcastle, UCL, Manchester and Nottingham, and I achieved all the grades I needed to go to any of them, so before you make stupid remarks about people you know nothing about, engage in a little decision making with your brain. Insecurity is the least worrying of my foibles, if I were you I would have attacked my arrogance first and foremost but unlike some people; I can be arrogant without being an elitest idiot.

Sorry for my rant, but the irrationality of the arguments these people put forward really gets my back up. You don't even want to get me started on the kind of bull-crap that goes along the lines of 'a 2:2 from oxbridge is comparable to a first from an ex-poly' :p:
mizmo
Rep:
?
lol is it around £70 a year.

An yeah I think im going to also take up a new sport when I go uni maybe martial arts!
An whats ure experiance of accomadation which i got to say is alot better than most unis from what I seen.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mizmo)
lol is it around £70 a year.

An yeah I think im going to also take up a new sport when I go uni maybe martial arts!
An whats ure experiance of accomadation which i got to say is alot better than most unis from what I seen.
Yeah, that's right.

Accommodation, as far as I'm concerned, is great, yep.
You've got the cluster flats which have fairly big rooms, and single beds. Whitendale has a small shared bathroom/shower room and a small kitchen with a central table, and Roeburn are en-suite with a wetroom and a kitchen/living room.
Then you've got the other halls/flats with smaller rooms but from what I've seen, just as sociable; and they actually seem to have more storage space than their larger counterparts.
Then you've also got the private accommodation, which I've written about on another thread if you want to know more.

I lived in Roeburn in my first year, and I'm now in Trinity (private halls) and both have been absolutely great. No halls are more than 2 minutes from campus either, private or uni-owned, which is a huge benefit.
RyanT
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
So I just got neg-repped for my post?
UCLan is not a respected uni. In the grand scheme of respectability its somewhere between a hooker and an mp.

Mizmo use the thing in between your ears - going to uni will cost you 18 grand, spend it wisely by going to the uni that will deliver the biggest bang for your buck (which will not be an ex-poly in any circumstances!!). Everything that has been said about UCLan, students of any university will say about their own uni so disregard it!
mizmo
Rep:
?
BTW Timewaster.
Oxbridge and London - some of us cant get into good schools or colleges and I certaintly cannot afford to go to a uni to far away. Ive done well considering where I went for my education.

Also why are u wasting ure education on spamming "bad universties" clearly either your 'daddy' has too much money or you need to get a life.

Btw saving my money not getting a proper education! That was the dummiest comment going sorry. As for uni you see alot of people from crap unis going places in like from MP's to lawyers. I know someone who went to one of the worst unis in the country and still was landed with a decent paying solictor training contract.

RYAN T - Im sorry how dumb of me let me just bend over and do what you say! Urgh. An How can it be that bad if it keeps growing and alot of money is getting spent and its finically benifical for me as I will get 1K a year if I go.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
RyanT; people might listen to you more if you ever get experience of what you're talking about.
It's best not to make unfounded, incorrect claims about the quality of a university in its own sub-forum, in a thread where someone's come to get a realistic, honest view about the place from people with experience.
RyanT
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cpj1987)
RyanT; people might listen to you more if you ever get experience of what you're talking about.
It's best not to make unfounded, incorrect claims about the quality of a university in its own sub-forum, in a thread where someone's come to get a realistic, honest view about the place from people with experience.
Okay lets play the reputation game.

Times good uni guide - central Lancashire = 70
good university guide (differnt to above - sponsored by PWC) = 63
Guardian - doesn't give numbers unfortunately but its two places above teeside and even lower then coventry

The fact is people with UCLan experience aren't that much better placed to comment because the vast majority have nothing to compare it to. But as you can see, my "claims" are not unfounded. It doesn't matter a damn how good you or other UCLan students think it is - what matters is what employers think. You don't need a degree to know what they will think of a) an ex-poly and b) any university that far down the league tables.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RyanT)

Guardian - doesn't give numbers unfortunately but its two places above teeside and even lower then coventry

The fact is people with UCLan experience aren't that much better placed to comment because the vast majority have nothing to compare it to. But as you can see, my "claims" are not unfounded. It doesn't matter a damn how good you or other UCLan students think it is - what matters is what employers think. You don't need a degree to know what they will think of a) an ex-poly and b) any university that far down the league tables.
Most employers care more about a person's skills and personality than they do for the name on the paper; and if they don't, then they can't be great to work for anyway. Still, we're not playing a 'reputation game'. The OP asked for honest information WITHOUT the influence of reputation which is what I'm giving.
Oddjob39A
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lets engage in a little thought experiment here people.

Liverpool Hope - 'worst' reputation in the country, consistently bottom of every league table.

One year, a polymath like the world has never seen before graduates from Hope, he/she makes Einstein look a fool.

Will this increase the 'reputation' of Hope Uni? 'Course it won't, it might raise one or two places, but it will still be considered a terrible uni.

Can you see how irrational that is?
Tomber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RyanT)

Rubbish. League tables are meaningless and say next to nothing of actual academic quality. In fact one of their biggest flaws is creating the impression of large gaps in quality, whereas actually the gaps are usually negligible.

I have no problem with saying that more high flyers come out of Oxford than out of UCLan, that's a truism, the point is that it being an ex polytechnic should in no way limit a good students achievement, should they choose to go there.

Though the only student i know who goes to UCLan really is a muppet, but I know plenty of muppets from all sorts of universities :p:

I am staunchly opposed to the idea that employers are the arbiters of academic quality, universities are places of academic endeavour, not merely a necessary stepping stone to a well paid job. Students these days have adopted a ridiculously utilitarian attitude to higher education, and it is losing its soul and passion because of it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Central Lancashire
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Nov '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Nov '19
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Jun '20

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.69%
It's just nice to be back! (179)
27.54%
Not great so far... (230)
35.38%
I want to drop out! (126)
19.38%

Watched Threads