The Student Room Group

What's your funny driving lesson stories?

Has anyone had any bad/funny experiences when on your driving lessons?
On my driving test - I overtook a hearse
An actual funeral procession!

Funnily enough my sister had done a similar thing two months before me on her driving lesson
Reply 2
failing
one time I grabbed the instructors leg instead of the gear stick :redface:
Original post by iElvendork
On my driving test - I overtook a hearse
An actual funeral procession!

Funnily enough my sister had done a similar thing two months before me on her driving lesson

Omg! That's quite funny actually... On my first lesson, in panic, I went round the wrong way on a roundabout, luckily no cars were there else I would have literally killed me and my instructor lmao
Original post by Heidi_16
one time I grabbed the instructors leg instead of the gear stick :redface:

bet you did that on purpose
Original post by jesswalton888
bet you did that on purpose

i wish :frown:
My instructor winding down the window and having an argument with another bloke because I had right of way and he beeped me and started shouting at us because I didn't stop for him.
He also had great banter and would rip the s*** out of me when I did stupid things, and he'd also say funny s*** when I performed a parking manoeuvre really well like "I'm getting a bit teary here, that so was beautiful...". Top lad.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
My instructor winding down the window and having an argument with another bloke because I had right of way and he beeped me and started shouting at us because I didn't stop for him.
He also had great banter and would rip the s*** out of me when I did stupid things, and he'd also say funny s*** when I performed a parking manoeuvre really well like "I'm getting a bit teary here, that so was beautiful...". Top lad.

i need your driving instructor lmao, mines boring as ****
Original post by jesswalton888
i need your driving instructor lmao, mines boring as ****

Yeah, I definitely got pretty lucky with mine, he was brilliant.

Another highlight I forgot to mention was my very first lesson, my instructor noticed I didn't have a problem with keeping up to speed so he took me down a 60mph carriageway on the way home. On the way down, he was like "Right, without looking at the dash, how fast do you think you're going?" - I said about 55, he replied "Nnnnnnnope we're doing 67, slow the f*** down!" :rofl:
Nothing funny, but I sorta had a bad experience in a lesson once with a dog! There are quite a few dog walkers in this particular area and I was driving along when a dog run out in front of the car. Thankfully the dog wasn't hit and safely got to the other side. My Instructor had a heated argument with the dog owner, which was quite funny to watch, actually.

Needless to say I learned emergency stop the hard way that day.
(edited 5 years ago)
im 16 and usually have to park my mums car for her.
Had an argument with instructor he went to get some chewing gum from a shop He took the keys but left me with car and so I let the handbrake off cruised down the road, parked it and walked round the corner and watch him from afar going mad!!!
Saw a temporary ROAD AHEAD CLOSED sign after signal and breaked immedately in middle of a junction where a car behind me almost kissed my car.

He was shouting madly , where I waved to him and tried to convey that i mistook road closed as no entry.

This happened without an instructor since I was driving with my overseas licence which is valid for 12 months.
I lucked out & had a brilliant driving instructor- I passed on my first attempt this week! (Yay!)

But we had some funny moments on our lessons.

The first time practicing the emergency stop, he directed me to a quiet country road & got me to carry out the stop. After a few more tries he said he was worried that as there wasn’t a situation that would make me react, I wasn’t performing the stop with enough urgency. So he turned to me and said:
“Have you got a dog?”
“No.”
“Have you got a cat?”
“No.”
“Any brothers or sisters?”
“... I have a budgie?”
He tried to keep a straight face but we both laughed. So we tried again...
“Your parents have just ran out in the road!”
“Why have my parents ran out in the road?”
“Does it matter? You’re going to run them over if you don’t stop now!”
... It worked.

On my test, the examiner got me to do an emergency stop & I broke so hard my stainless steel water bottle flew out of my bag on the back seat & bounced off the dashboard. Kind of glad it wasn’t a few inches higher as I’m pretty sure my instructor, as lovely as he was, wouldn’t have appreciated a smashed windscreen even if I did do the stop really well!

When I got more confident & he didn’t have to tell me what to do every 5 seconds bless him, we’d just have a chat & a bit of banter.

He used to tell me if I took my hand off the steering wheel to use the indicator again he’d Smack my hand (never did obviously it was just banter & he was trying to get me out of bad habits).

On test day I got in the car and he took one look at me and just said “(my name) BREATHE!” because I was shaking so much & he could see how nervous I was.

When I’d done my test, I was the last student to return (my test centre send 4 out at a time in different routes) & my instructor was pacing up & down outside. I had barely pulled into a parking space & he was right outside the car wanting to know my result. When he found out I passed he gave me a high five, then told me that I parked up beautifully but it didn’t matter once I was back at the test centre so could have parked sideways across 4 bays & it wouldn’t have mattered! 😂

So yeah, I had a pretty cool instructor!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending