The Student Room Group

why do foreign students stay the summer?

Dear foreign students: I notice during the summer a lot of (asian in particular) students prefer to stay in the UK during the summer instead of going home. I would have thought going home would be much cheaper than renting a place for two months. Do you guys just prefer the UK? Or don't want to move everything back home and back again?
Original post by bne
Dear foreign students: I notice during the summer a lot of (asian in particular) students prefer to stay in the UK during the summer instead of going home. I would have thought going home would be much cheaper than renting a place for two months. Do you guys just prefer the UK? Or don't want to move everything back home and back again?

For myself--I lived in Beijing and Germany during uni--I preferred to stay the summer as I could work during this time, or work on my course, or do a placement. I also think some people have 12 rather than 10 month contracts for rent; so if you're paying the 12 month rent you might as well go ahead and stay in the area. Summer schools can also be a factor, with some of the schools being for learning English as a second language and practising academic English.
I stay for the wonderful weather, the beautiful women, and the intellectually stimulating debates about Brexit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending